Proving Trig Identities: Is this Question Referring to the Pythagorean Identity?

In summary, the conversation is about proving trigonometric identities, specifically the identity sec θ (sec θ - cos θ) = tan^2 θ. The relevant equations for this problem are sec θ = 1/cos θ, tan θ = sin θ/cos θ, and cot θ = cos θ/sin θ. The attempt at a solution involved simplifying the left side of the equation and using the Pythagorean identity, 1 + tan^2 θ = sec^2 θ, to reach the desired expression. The expert then provides a suggestion to start on one side and end up with the expression on the other side. This is followed by a confirmation
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Prove Trig. Identities

1. sec θ (sec θ - cos θ)= tan^2 θ

Homework Equations

sec θ = 1/cos θ
tan θ = sin θ/ cos θ
cot θ = cos θ / sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. sec θ * sec θ - sec θ * cos θ

1/ cos θ * 1/ cos θ - 1/ cos θ * cos θ

----> cos θ is crosses out by the right but I am confused on 1/cos θ. I know 1/cos θ = sec θ. Wait does this problem refer to the pythagorean identity which is 1 + tan^2 θ = sec^2 θ

Physics news on Phys.org
priscilla98 said:

Homework Statement

Prove Trig. Identities

1. sec θ (sec θ - cos θ)= tan^2 θ

Homework Equations

sec θ = 1/cos θ
tan θ = sin θ/ cos θ
cot θ = cos θ / sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

1. sec θ * sec θ - sec θ * cos θ

1/ cos θ * 1/ cos θ - 1/ cos θ * cos θ

----> cos θ is crosses out by the right but I am confused on 1/cos θ. I know 1/cos θ = sec θ. Wait does this problem refer to the pythagorean identity which is 1 + tan^2 θ = sec^2 θ

Use = !
Generally you want to start on one side and end up with the expression on the other side.

sec θ * sec θ - sec θ * cos θ = sec2θ - 1 = ?

In answer to your question, yes.

Thanks a lot :)

FAQ: Proving Trig Identities: Is this Question Referring to the Pythagorean Identity?

1. What is the purpose of proving trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to manipulate expressions involving trigonometric functions and simplify them, making it easier to solve equations and problems in trigonometry.

2. How do I know which identity to use when proving a trigonometric equation?

There is no set rule for determining which identity to use. It often requires a combination of algebraic manipulation and recognizing common trigonometric identities. Practice and familiarity with different identities will help in choosing the most appropriate one.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove trigonometric identities?

No, calculators are not allowed in proving trigonometric identities. The purpose of proving identities is to demonstrate a logical and algebraic understanding of trigonometric functions, not to rely on technology.

4. What are some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies include using fundamental identities, manipulating expressions using algebraic properties, factoring, and converting expressions to a common denominator.

5. How can I check if my proof for a trigonometric identity is correct?

One way to check the validity of a proof is to substitute different values for the variables and see if the original equation and the simplified equation give the same result. Another way is to compare your proof with established proofs or solutions to the same identity.

Back