Proving Trig Problem: sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x)

• Thread starter Sixlets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the equation sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x), with the speaker seeking help as they are unsure of any terms that are equal to sec (2x). Suggestions are made to use the double angle identity to rewrite the equation in terms of sin and cos.
Sixlets
I'm stuck :/ I have to prove the following:
sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x

Unfortunately, I don't know any terms that are equal to sec (2x). Any help would be awesome!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]sec(2x)=\frac{1}{cos(2x)}=\frac{1}{cos^2x-sin^2x}[/tex]

Also you can change the denominator by substituting in for [tex]cos^2x[/tex] or [tex]sin^2x[/tex].

I think I would start with the left side of the eq. and use the double angle identity to get it in terms of sin/cos.

I'll try that again. I kept getting way off track, but I probably just got confused with all the fractions haha. Thanks everyone!

Hello,

I understand that you are trying to prove the equation sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x) and are looking for guidance on how to proceed. Let's break down the equation and see if we can simplify it.

First, let's rewrite the equation as:

(sec (2x) - 1)/2sec (2x) = sin^2 x

We can then use the identity sec x = 1/cos x to rewrite the left side as:

(1/cos (2x) - 1)/2(1/cos (2x)) = sin^2 x

Next, we can simplify the numerator by finding a common denominator:

(1 - cos (2x))/2(cos (2x)) = sin^2 x

Using the identity cos (2x) = 1 - 2sin^2 x, we can substitute this into the equation to get:

(1 - (1 - 2sin^2 x))/2(1 - 2sin^2 x) = sin^2 x

Simplifying further, we get:

2sin^2 x/2(1 - 2sin^2 x) = sin^2 x

Cancelling out the 2's on the left side, we are left with:

sin^2 x/(1 - 2sin^2 x) = sin^2 x

Using the identity sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x, we can substitute this into the equation to get:

(1 - cos^2 x)/(1 - 2(1 - cos^2 x)) = sin^2 x

Simplifying further, we get:

(1 - cos^2 x)/(1 - 2 + 2cos^2 x) = sin^2 x

Combining like terms, we get:

(1 - cos^2 x)/(2cos^2 x - 1) = sin^2 x

Finally, using the identity sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x, we can substitute this into the equation to get:

(1 - cos^2 x)/(2cos^2 x - 1) = 1 - cos^2 x

And this is true, since both sides are equal to 1 - cos^2 x.

I hope this helps you understand the steps to prove the given equation

FAQ: Proving Trig Problem: sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x)

What is the given equation to prove: sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x)?

The given equation is sec (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2 sec (2x).

What is the first step in proving this trigonometry problem?

The first step in proving this trigonometry problem is to use the identity sec (2x) = 1/cos (2x) to rewrite the equation as 1/cos (2x) - 1 = sin^2 x / 2(1/cos (2x)).

What is the next step after rewriting the equation?

The next step is to simplify the equation by combining the fractions and using the double angle identity for cosine, cos (2x) = 2cos^2 x - 1. This results in the equation 1 - cos (2x) = sin^2 x / (2(2cos^2 x - 1)).

What is the final step in proving the equation?

The final step is to use the Pythagorean identity, sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1, to simplify the equation further. This results in the equation sin^2 x = sin^2 x, which is a true statement.

How do you know that the given equation has been proven?

The equation has been proven if the final step results in a true statement, confirming that both sides of the equation are equal. In this case, the final step results in sin^2 x = sin^2 x, proving that the given equation is true.