Proving trigonometric equation?

In summary, you are trying to solve cos(4x) = sin(2x). You can eliminate the cos^2(2x) term by using the identity \cos^2(2x)+\sin^2(2x) = 1. Additionally, D H offered a more elementary solution of using the identity sin(\frac{\pi}{2} \pm y) = \cos y.
skateza
for x between 0 and 2pie, solve cos(4x)=sin(2x)...

is this a proving trigonometric equation? i don't think it is

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a tautology, which you should be able to see if you expand cos(4x) in terms of sin(2x). The problem is find the value(s) of x between 0 and 2 pi for which the given expression is true.

so how do u do that algebraically

I gave you a big hint in my first post. I'll repeat to make it blatantly obvious: Expand cos(4x) in terms of sin(2x).

i understand that,i'm not an idiot I'm just missing something very crucial to be able to determine the answer.

i don't know how to expand it into terms of sin, i have checked through my textbook i have looked everywhere. I know this is probably really easy but I'm missing that key concept which i can't figure out to be able to put cos in terms of sin

Start with cos(4x) = cos(2x+2x). Can you proceed from here?

ok i think that helped me realize the identity..

Cos(A+B)=CosACosB-sinAsinB
cos(2x+2x)=cos2xcos2x-sin2xsin2x
=2cos2x-2sin2x
2cos2x-2sin2x=sin2x
2cos2x=3sin2x
2/3=tan2x?

right?

skateza said:
ok i think that helped me realize the identity..

Cos(A+B)=CosACosB-sinAsinB
cos(2x+2x)=cos2xcos2x-sin2xsin2x
Good so far.
=2cos2x-2sin2x
You are saying the equivalent of [itex]u*u = 2*u[/tex], which is obviously incorrect.

Ok so this is what i have so far
cos4x=sin2x
cos(2x+2x)=sin2x
cos^22x-sin^22x=sin2x

as far as i know, cos^2x+sin^2x=1, so when i have -sin^22x, i can't complete that property correct? or is it just -1

Use the identity [itex]\cos^2(2x)+\sin^2(2x) = 1[/itex] to eliminate the [itex]\cos^2(2x)[/itex] term: [itex]\cos^2(2x)-\sin^2(2x) = 1 - 2\sin^2(2x)[/itex]. Applying this to the original problem yields

[tex]1 - 2\sin^2(2x) = \sin(2x)[/tex]

which is a quadratic equation in [itex]\sin(2x)[/itex].

A more elementary solution would be to utilise the identity

[tex]\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

Since multiple angles are in play here, add 2n*pi to the argument, for integral n.

[tex]\sin(2n\pi + \frac{\pi}{2} \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

giving [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{2}(4n + 1)\pi \pm y) = \cos y[/tex]

Now substitute that into the cosine expression in the LHS of the orig. equation (y = 4x), remove the sines on both sides, and you have a linear equation to solve. Simply list the multiple solutions in the required range by varying n (n can be zero, positive or negative). Don't have to worry about the plus/minus part too much, since all the solutions with one sign are included when solving for the other, but you need to establish this.

Furthering D H's help,

After subbing cos (4x) for 1- sin^2 (2x), make a substitution to form a simple quadratic equation which you can solve (ie. let sin 2x = u)

FAQ: Proving trigonometric equation?

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations are used to represent relationships between angles and sides in a triangle.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric equation?

To prove a trigonometric equation, you must show that both sides of the equation are equal for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done using algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, or by substituting known values for the variables.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in proving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proving equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can help simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions to prove equations.

4. What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include using unit circle values, factoring, and simplifying by using common identities. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, or solutions that do not satisfy the original equation.

5. How do trigonometric equations relate to real-life problems?

Trigonometric equations are used in many real-life problems, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in various applications, such as surveying, navigation, and projectile motion.