Proving Undecidability: Reducing H_0 to H_epsilon

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, we discussed the undecidability of the language $H_\epsilon$. We showed that it is undecidable by reducing it to the language $H_0$. By assuming that $H_\epsilon$ is decidable, we reached a contradiction and proved its undecidability. We also discussed the proof idea and the formulation of the reduction function.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that the language $H_\epsilon=\{x \mid M_x(\epsilon )\text{ halts } \}$ is undecidable, by reducing $H_0$ to that.

We have that $H_0=\{x\mid M_x(x)\text{ halts } \}$.

Suppose that $H_\epsilon$ is decidable. Then there is Turing machine that computes this language for every input. That means that it is also computed with input $x$, that means that $H_0$ is then also decidable. Contradiiction.

Is this the correct idea for the proof? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that $M_x(w)$ is the result of applying a machine with code $x$ to input $w$.

mathmari said:
Suppose that $H_\epsilon$ is decidable. Then there is Turing machine that computes this language for every input.
I don't understand what you mean by "computes this language for every input".

mathmari said:
That means that it is also computed with input $x$
Again, what does it mean that a machine "computes with input $x$"? Also, $x$ is undefined so far. In the preceding definitions $x$ was under a quantifier (e.g., "all $x$ such that $M_x(\epsilon)$ halts). If you are using some concrete $x$, you need to properly introduce it.

mathmari said:
that means that $H_0$ is then also decidable.
In view of my remarks above, it is not clear where this conclusion comes from.

You need to create an $m$-reduction (that is, a computable function) $f$ from $H_0$ to $H_\epsilon$ such that
\[
w\in H_0\iff f(w)\in H_\epsilon\qquad(*)
\]
for all words $w$. The proof must describe how $f$ works. In this case, $f$ could take a word $w$ and if $w$ is not a code of any machine, $f$ would return $w$. If $w$ is a code of some machine $M$, then $f(w)$ would return the code of the following machine $M'$. Namely, $M'$ erases its input, writes $w$ on the tape and then passes its control to $M$, that is, it calls $M(w)$ as a subroutine. Now try proving (*) (if I did not make a mistake defining $f$).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I assume that $M_x(w)$ is the result of applying a machine with code $x$ to input $w$.

Yes.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
I don't understand what you mean by "computes this language for every input".

I mean that when $H_\epsilon$ is decidable, we have that there is a Turing machine that halts on any input. Is this wrong? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I mean that when $H_\epsilon$ is decidable, we have that there is a Turing machine that halts on any input.
Yes, a machine that decides a language halts on every input. I can also take a machine that immediately halts in the accepting state on every input. It is not clear to me how you use the fact that the machine you have in mind decides $H_\epsilon$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, a machine that decides a language halts on every input. I can also take a machine that immediately halts in the accepting state on every input. It is not clear to me how you use the fact that the machine you have in mind decides $H_\epsilon$.

I got stuck right now... We suppose that $H_\epsilon$ is decidable. Then there is a Turing machine that halts on every input. In this case the input is $\epsilon$ which is independent from $x$. Doesn't this mean that this Turing machine halts also on the input $e=x$ ? Doesn't this machine decides then the language $H_0$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We suppose that $H_\epsilon$ is decidable. Then there is a Turing machine that halts on every input.
Yes, though you should connect the machine about which you say it exists to $H_\epsilon$. Otherwise it's like saying, "We suppose that $m$ is a composite number. Therefore, there exist two numbers $n$ and $k$". Of course they exist: you can take $n=k=1$; they just don't have any relationship to $m$. Similarly, there exists a Turing machine that halts on every input, namely, a machine that immediately accepts. It just has nothing to do with $H_\epsilon$. What you probably mean is that there is a machine that decides $H_\epsilon$; in particular, as every decider, it halts on every input.

mathmari said:
In this case the input is $\epsilon$
There is no "the input". The decider $D$ halts on every input, and it accepts that input if it is the code of a TM that halts on $\epsilon$. Note: $D$ takes codes of machines as input and checks what those machines do when given $\epsilon$ as input.

mathmari said:
which is independent from $x$.
I repeat:
Also, $x$ is undefined so far. In the preceding definitions $x$ was under a quantifier (e.g., "all $x$ such that $M_x(\epsilon)$ halts). If you are using some concrete $x$, you need to properly introduce it.
In this case, I don't see what you mean by $x$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You need to create an $m$-reduction (that is, a computable function) $f$ from $H_0$ to $H_\epsilon$ such that
\[
\]
for all words $w$. The proof must describe how $f$ works. In this case, $f$ could take a word $w$ and if $w$ is not a code of any machine, $f$ would return $w$. If $w$ is a code of some machine $M$, then $f(w)$ would return the code of the following machine $M'$. Namely, $M'$ erases its input, writes $w$ on the tape and then passes its control to $M$, that is, it calls $M(w)$ as a subroutine. Now try proving (*) (if I did not make a mistake defining $f$).

I haven't really understood the machine $M'$. Could you explain it further to me? Why does it erase its input? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I haven't really understood the machine $M'$. Could you explain it further to me? Why does it erase its input?
I have the right to define any machine. Any obligation comes from proving its properties. So the question should not be "Why does it do it?", but "Why does a certain property hold?".

Let $\lceil M\rceil$ denote the code of a machine $M$. The idea is to use $M$ to create a machine $M'$ such that $M(\lceil M\rceil)$ behaves in the same way as $M'(\epsilon)$. The procedure that creates $M'$ from $M$ is the reduction function $f$, i.e., $\lceil M'\rceil=f(\lceil M\rceil)$. Then $\lceil M\rceil\in H_0\iff \lceil M'\rceil\in H_\epsilon$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Let $\lceil M\rceil$ denote the code of a machine $M$. The idea is to use $M$ to create a machine $M'$ such that $M(\lceil M\rceil)$ behaves in the same way as $M'(\epsilon)$. The procedure that creates $M'$ from $M$ is the reduction function $f$, i.e., $\lceil M'\rceil=f(\lceil M\rceil)$. Then $\lceil M\rceil\in H_0\iff \lceil M'\rceil\in H_\epsilon$.

To clarify something... $H_0$ halts only when the input is the same as the code of the machine but $H_\epsilon$ halts always? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$H_0$ halts only when the input is the same as the code of the machine
$H_0$ is a language. It cannot halt. If $\lceil M\rceil\in H_0$, then $M(\lceil M\rceil)$ halts by definition of $H_0$.

mathmari said:
but $H_\epsilon$ halts always?
No. Why don't you check the definition of $H_\epsilon$ again?

I assume $\epsilon$ is the empty word, which is represented by the empty tape.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
\[
\]

So, we have the following:

Let $w$ be an input for $H_0$. We construct a Turing machine $M'$.
$M'$ with input $f(w)$, where $f$ does the following:
If $w$ is not a code of a machine, then $f(w)=w$.
If $w$ is a code of a machine, then $f(w)$ is the code of the following machine $M'$:
$M'$ erases its input, writes $w$ and simulates $M$ with input $w$.

I haven't really understood the case when $w$ is not a code of any machine... We have then that the machine $M$ doesn't halt, or not? Does this mean that $M'$ neither halts? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
Let $w$ be an input for $H_0$.
$H_0$ is a language and not a machine. It does not have input.

mathmari said:
We construct a Turing machine $M'$.
$M'$ with input $f(w)$, where $f$ does the following:
The phrase "$M'$ with input $f(w)$" is incorrect. We are in the process of constructing the reduction $f:\Sigma^*\to\Sigma^*$. To remind, the intended property of $f$ is that it is computable and
\[
w\in H_0\iff f(w)\in H_\epsilon\qquad (*)
\]
In the most interesting case, when $w=\lceil M\rceil$ for some $M$, we have $f(w)=\lceil M'\rceil$. After we describe what exactly $M'$ does, the description of $f$ will be mostly done. So $f(w)$ is not an input to $M'$; $f(w)$ is (the code of) $M'$.

mathmari said:
If $w$ is not a code of a machine, then $f(w)=w$.
Yes. This is because if $w$ is not a code of any machine, then $w\in H_0$ is false because the language $H_0$ consists of machine codes only, namely, the codes of those machines that halt when given themselves as input. Therefore, the right-hand sides of (*) must be false as well. The easiest way to define $f$ to achieve this is to also make $f(w)$ not a code of any machine. Then $f(w)\notin H_\epsilon$ because $H_\epsilon$ also consists of machine codes.

mathmari said:
If $w$ is a code of a machine
We should call this machine, say, $M$ because later you refer to it. Please pay attention that every entity you use in your proof is properly introduced.

mathmari said:
then $f(w)$ is the code of the following machine $M'$:
$M'$ erases its input, writes $w$ and simulates $M$ with input $w$.
Yes. In other words, if $w=\lceil M\rceil$ for some $M$, then $M'$ on any input, including $\epsilon$, behaves as $M(\lceil M\rceil)$. This ensures (*).

mathmari said:
I haven't really understood the case when $w$ is not a code of any machine... We have then that the machine $M$ doesn't halt, or not?
If $w$ is not a code if any machine, then what is $M$ in this part of the proof?

I got it... Thank you very much! (Smile)

Related to Proving Undecidability: Reducing H_0 to H_epsilon

1. What does it mean for a language to be undecidable?

When a language is undecidable, it means that there is no algorithm that can determine whether a given string of symbols belongs to the language or not. In other words, there is no way to create a program that can always correctly identify whether a particular input is part of the language or not.

2. Why are undecidable languages important in computer science?

Undecidable languages are important in computer science because they demonstrate the limitations of what computers can do. They also highlight the fundamental differences between human intelligence and machine intelligence, as humans can often recognize patterns and make decisions about languages that computers cannot.

3. How can we prove that a language is undecidable?

To prove that a language is undecidable, we can use a reduction proof. This involves showing that if we assume the language is decidable, we can use that assumption to solve a known undecidable problem. If the solution to the undecidable problem is contradictory or impossible, then the initial assumption that the language was decidable must be false, and therefore it is undecidable.

4. Are there any practical applications for undecidable languages?

While undecidable languages do not have direct practical applications, the study of them has led to important developments in theoretical computer science. For example, the concept of undecidability has helped researchers understand the limits of computation and develop new algorithms and data structures that can efficiently solve certain problems that were previously thought to be undecidable.

5. Can a language be both undecidable and Turing-complete?

Yes, a language can be both undecidable and Turing-complete. This means that even though there is no algorithm to determine whether a given input belongs to the language, the language is still able to compute anything that is computable. This is because undecidability refers to the decision problem of determining membership in the language, while Turing-completeness refers to the ability to simulate any Turing machine.