Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)

• Thread starter vaishakh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometric equation and how to solve it using trigonometric identities. The question is asking for clarification on which specific cosine function is being referred to. The conversation concludes with a solution to the equation using a trigonometric identity and a short proof of the identity.
vaishakh
My doubt lies with the following question. It is given that sin(pi*cosx) = cos(pi*sinx).
From the following information it is to be proved that x = (1/4)[(2n+1)pi +or- cos^-1(1/8)] where n is any natural number.

From the question we can make it clear that the range of pi*cosx and pi*sinx is between pi and -pi. So I took two cases. In the first case bot are positive. When they are positive they must lie in [0,pi/2]. Thus from the equation we get that pi*cosx and pi*sinx must be complementary.
Therefore pi*cosx = pi/2 - pi*sinx. Therefore cosx = (1/2) - sinx. Therefore sinx + cosx = (1/2) and this is the maxima of the function thus bringing up that x is 2n*pi + pi/4 in case1 while it is 2n*pi -3pi/4 in case2.
So that is something that is against my question or infact I have disproved what I should prove. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just want to clear something up:
At University, we are seriously discouraged from writing, Sin^-1 /
Cos^-1 / Tan^-1, because they can mean two things.

First it, in your question, it could equal arccos(1/8):
(The angle created from a right-angled triangle with adjacent length 1 & hypotenuse length 8).

Second it can equal sec(1/8):
(The inverse of the value cos(1/8) i.e. (Cos 1/8)^-1

Obviously this is a special case, and you can write Sin^2(x) without confusion. Could you clarify which cos the question is referring to?

Regards,
Sam

vaishakh said:
From the question we can make it clear that the range of pi*cosx and pi*sinx is between pi and -pi. So I took two cases. In the first case bot are positive. When they are positive they must lie in [0,pi/2]. Thus from the equation we get that pi*cosx and pi*sinx must be complementary.
Therefore pi*cosx = pi/2 - pi*sinx. Therefore cosx = (1/2) - sinx. Therefore sinx + cosx = (1/2) and this is the maxima of the function thus bringing up that x is 2n*pi + pi/4 in case1 while it is 2n*pi -3pi/4 in case2.
The bolded part is wrong!
Are you sure that:
[tex]\sin \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]??
In fact:
[tex]\sin \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} = \sqrt 2[/tex]
To solve for x in:
[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex], you can just use the identity:
[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex].
So:
[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex].
You should be able to go from here, right?

sinx + cosx = 2^(1/2)cos(x-pi/4)
is this the modification of any standard identity or something of university level. i cannot recall it from something i learnt.

A short proof:
[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt 2 \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \sin x + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \cos x \right) = \sqrt 2 \left( \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \sin x + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} \cos x \right) = \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]
---------------
To solve trig equation in form : a sin x + b cos x = c. Where a, b, c are constants. We often divide boths sides by [itex]\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}[/itex]
Then let:
[tex]\sin \alpha = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \quad \mbox{and} \quad \cos \alpha = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}}[/tex]
Or let:
[tex]\cos \alpha = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \quad \mbox{and} \quad \sin \alpha = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}}[/tex]
So:
[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \sin x + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \cos x = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \sin x + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} \cos x = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]

FAQ: Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)

1. What is the equation "Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)" trying to prove?

The equation is trying to prove that the value of x in the equation Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx) is equal to pi/2.

2. How is the equation "Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)" related to trigonometry?

The equation is related to trigonometry because it involves the use of trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine, and the concept of angles in a unit circle.

3. Why is it important to prove the value of x in "Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)"?

The value of x in this equation is important because it helps to establish a relationship between the two trigonometric functions and provides a deeper understanding of their behavior.

4. What is the process for proving x in "Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)"?

The process for proving x in this equation involves using trigonometric identities, such as the double angle formula, and manipulating the equation to simplify it and ultimately solve for x.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Proving x in Sin(pi*cosx) = Cos(pi*sinx)"?

This equation has many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering where trigonometric functions are used to model and analyze various phenomena, as well as in navigation and astronomy where angles and circles are important concepts.