Pseudo-Distances within a depth-determination problem

• Thread starter Shaitan00
  • Start date
In summary, the pseudo-distance algorithm is recursive and uses the distance between two nodes to calculate the depth of a node in a tree.
Shaitan00
I was given the following problem description for a depth-determination problem, however I am completely unable to figure out how this "pseudo-distance" feature works, if anyone has any clues and can provide a uber-simple example it would be much appreciated - I just can't see how it works/applies.

[Problem]
In the depth-determination problem, we maintain a forest F = {Ti} of rooted trees. We use the disjoint-set forest S=Si, where each set Si (which is itself a tree) corresponds to a tree Ti in the forest F. The tree structure within a set Si, however, does not necessarily correspond to that of Ti. In fact, the implementation of Si does not record the exact parent-child relationships but nevertheless allows us to determine any node’s depth in Ti.

The key idea is to maintain each node v a ”pseudo-distance” d[v], which is defined so that the sum of the pseudo-distances along the path from v to the root of its set Si equals the depth of v in Ti. That is, if the path from v to its root in v0 , v1 , . . . , vk , where v0 = v and vk is Si’s root, then the depth of v in Ti is the sum of d[vj] where j=0 to j=k.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key idea is to maintain each node v a ”pseudo-distance” d[v], which is defined so that the sum of the pseudo-distances along the path from v to the root of its set Si equals the depth of v in Ti.
The definition of "pseudo-distance" seems to be recursive here. Could you check the wording of the question?

Very possible that is it recursive - because the wording is copy/paste from the problem statement - I just don't see how it works...

If Si is a subtree of Ti (but they don't necessarily have the same root) then how can d[v] in Si allow you to calculate the depth it Ti? Or am I looking at this completely wrong?

Thanks,

It is common to have a recursive algorithm. But a definition that is recursive would not help the cause of defining or explaining something.
For example:
"A rectangle is a rectangle that has opposite sides parallel and adjacent side perpendicular to each other."
is a faulty definition.

I see your point - but this is given in the textbook, not sure how else to interpret it...

Related to Pseudo-Distances within a depth-determination problem

1. What are pseudo-distances in a depth-determination problem?

Pseudo-distances refer to the apparent distances between objects or points in a 3-dimensional space. They are used in depth-determination problems to estimate the distance between objects based on their relative positions and angles.

2. How are pseudo-distances calculated?

Pseudo-distances are calculated using mathematical formulas and algorithms that take into account the known positions and angles of objects. These calculations can be done manually or with the use of computer software.

3. What is the purpose of using pseudo-distances in depth-determination problems?

The use of pseudo-distances allows for a more accurate estimation of depths in 3-dimensional space. It takes into account the relative positions and angles of objects, which can help to reduce errors and uncertainties in depth calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to using pseudo-distances?

Yes, there are limitations to using pseudo-distances. These calculations rely on accurate measurements of positions and angles, so any errors or uncertainties in these measurements can affect the accuracy of the pseudo-distances and subsequently the depth estimation.

5. Can pseudo-distances be used in all types of depth-determination problems?

Pseudo-distances are commonly used in depth-determination problems involving 3-dimensional space, such as in geology, surveying, and engineering. However, they may not be applicable in all situations and other methods or techniques may be used depending on the specific problem at hand.