Pspice help RLC parrallel circuit.

In summary, Pspice does not recognize the current flowing through the capacitor as an initial condition, so it assumes that the 30mA flowing through the inductor is flowing back through the resistor, leading to the 60V initial node voltage.
xXOfNiRXx
Hello everybody. I have an over-damped RLC parallel circuit. Using techniques taught, I solved for v(t) = 70e^(-10,000t)+20e^(-40,000t) V for t> zero. This indicates that my initial voltage is 90v. Using MATLAB (Part of the assignment) I verified this. I also found that Current as a function of time in my inductor is I(t)= -28e^(-10,000t)-2e^(-40,000t) mA for t>0. Which indicates that at t=0 current is -30mA; through the inductor. Which again, agrees with both my Matlab graph and the answer in the book.

C1 has a capacitance of 10nF and an initial current of -15mA (solved for current, agrees with book)
R1 has a resistance value of 2000ohms
L1's value is 250mH with an initial current of -30mA. (Given in problem)

However, upon running Pspice with this code:

C1 1 0 10e-9F IC = -15e-3A
R1 1 0 2.0e3ohm
L1 1 0 250e-3H IC = -30e-3A
.tran 5e-6 1e-3 UIC
.plot tran v(1)
.plot tran I(L1)
.end

My voltage graph doesn't agree with Matlab or my voltage function. According to Pspice, my initial Voltage at node 1 is only 60 not 90. I'm confused because my current plot for L1 is right on with an initial of -30mA, as it should.

Does anybody see anything wrong with my code? I've tried sing .IC =V(1)=90, but that didn't do anything either. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated...it's driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that pspice does not recognize the current through the capacitor as a valid initial condition. You can specify a capacitor node voltage as an initial condition, but not a current. So it ignores the 15 mA flowing through the capacitor and assumes that the 30mA flowing through the inductor is flowing back through the resistor, leading to the 60V initial node voltage. I couldn't find a way to get it to do what you want.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate the help. It's an interesting problem. What you said makes sense though. Setting IC = 90V for the capacitor does nothing. Wow, I'm at a loss; I have literally tried everything that I can think of.

So, I finally got it to work. However, I changed the code around many-a-time until it finally worked. Curiously enough, the same code doesn't give me the same answer every time! Weird. Here is he code that code:

C1 1 0 10e-9F IC = 90V
R1 1 0 2.0e3ohm
L1 1 0 250e-3H IC= -30e-3A
.tran 5e-6 5.5e-4
.plot tran V(1)
.plot tran I(L1)
.end

Related to Pspice help RLC parrallel circuit.

What is Pspice?

Pspice is a computer program used for simulating and analyzing electronic circuits. It is commonly used by engineers and scientists to design and test circuits before they are physically built.

What is an RLC parallel circuit?

An RLC parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that the components share the same voltage, but the current may differ for each component.

What is the purpose of using Pspice for RLC parallel circuits?

Pspice can simulate and analyze RLC parallel circuits to predict their behavior and performance. This can help in designing and optimizing circuits, as well as troubleshooting any potential issues.

How do I use Pspice to simulate an RLC parallel circuit?

First, you will need to create a schematic of the circuit using the Pspice software. Then, you can specify the values for the R, L, and C components and run the simulation. The results can then be analyzed to understand the behavior of the circuit.

Are there any limitations to using Pspice for RLC parallel circuits?

Like any simulation software, Pspice has its limitations. It relies on the accuracy of the model used for each component and may not always reflect the real-world performance of a circuit. It is important to validate the results with physical measurements whenever possible.