Ptolemy's Theorem: Deriving 2sin(θ/2)

• Thread starter PcumP_Ravenclaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem involves showing that the distance between two points on a circle is equal to 2 times the sine of half the angle between the points. This can then be used to derive Ptolemy's theorem, which states that the product of the diagonals of a quadrilateral inscribed in a circle is equal to the sum of the products of its opposite sides. This can be verified using the identities e^iθ = cosθ + i*sin(θ), cos^2(θ) + sin^2(θ) = 1, and cos(2θ) = 1 - 2sin^2(θ).
PcumP_Ravenclaw

Homework Statement

7. Show that if θ is real then ## |e^{iθ} − 1| = 2\sin(\frac{θ} {2}) ##. Use this to derive
Ptolemy’s theorem: if the four vertices of a quadrilateral Q lie on a circle.
then ## d1*d2 = l1*l3 + l2*l4 ## where d1 and d2 are the lengths of the diagonals
of Q, and l1, l2, l3 and l4 are the lengths of its sides taken in this order around Q.

Homework Equations

using the identies, e^iθ = cosθ + i*sin(θ)
and cos^2(θ) + sin^2(θ) = 1
and cos(2θ) = 1 - 2sin^2(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

using the identies I could show that ## |e^{iθ} − 1| = 2\sin(\frac{θ} {2}) ##
but I am not sure about the derivation. I have drawn out the statements below

upload_2014-10-29_4-21-49.png

Physics news on Phys.org
For this problem, I would start by writing the 4 points, A, B, C, D, as ##re^{i\theta_A}, re^{i\theta_B}, re^{i\theta_C}, re^{i\theta_D}##. The distance between any 2 points is ##d(re^{i\theta_1},re^{i\theta_2})=\sqrt{(r\cos\theta_1-r\cos\theta_2)^2+(r\sin\theta_1-r\sin\theta_2)^2}##
Using these distances, and the identities you already have, you should be able to verify the theorem.
I cannot see immediately where the equivalence you showed in part a is applicable, but I also have not worked all the way through this problem yet.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw

Related to Ptolemy's Theorem: Deriving 2sin(θ/2)

1. What is Ptolemy's Theorem?

Ptolemy's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the four sides and two diagonals of a cyclic quadrilateral. It states that the product of the diagonals is equal to the sum of the products of opposite sides.

2. How is Ptolemy's Theorem derived?

Ptolemy's Theorem can be derived using trigonometry and the Law of Cosines. By drawing a diagonal and constructing perpendiculars to the other sides, the theorem can be proved using the relationships between the sides and angles of a cyclic quadrilateral.

3. What is the significance of 2sin(θ/2) in Ptolemy's Theorem?

2sin(θ/2) is a term that appears in the derivation of Ptolemy's Theorem and is used to express the length of the diagonal in terms of the sides and angles of the quadrilateral. It is derived from the Law of Cosines and plays a crucial role in proving the theorem.

4. How is Ptolemy's Theorem used in real life?

Ptolemy's Theorem has various applications in mathematics and engineering. It can be used to calculate distances and angles in surveying and navigation, as well as in trigonometry and geometry problems. It is also used in the design and construction of structures such as bridges and buildings.

5. Are there any limitations to Ptolemy's Theorem?

Yes, Ptolemy's Theorem only applies to cyclic quadrilaterals, which are quadrilaterals with all four vertices lying on the same circle. It cannot be used for non-cyclic quadrilaterals or other shapes. Additionally, the theorem assumes that the sides and angles are known with precision, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.