PTRAC File - MCNP - Multi-core computing

In summary, the conversation is about using MCNP 6.2 to model a cold neutron source for the Brazilian multipurpose reactor project. The group is interested in obtaining a PTRAC file in the CNS region through multi-core computing and is asking for advice on how to execute it. They also discuss the limitations of thermal scattering libraries at low temperatures and the potential need for OpenMP or MPI for the computer.
Luizpo
Homework Statement:: PTRAC File - MCNP - Multi-core computing
Relevant Equations:: No equations

My name is Luiz. I am a postdoc at the institute of energy and nuclear research in São Paulo-Brazil.
Our group models a cold neutron source (CNS) for the Brazilian multipurpose reactor project, through MCNP 6.2.
We need a PTRAC file in the CNS region and would like to know if it is possible to obtain this file through multi-core computing. If yes, how should we execute it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I may not be the right person to answer, but this sounds interesting. I assume you will be basing this off the libraries .05c or 0.85c, but the thermal scattering libraries have very few options at low temperature. Is your setup 18 liters of liquid deuterium at 20K?

Why is PTRAC important and will it have very narrow criteria? Only I'm not sure CPU capacity will be limiting if it's streaming a large number of events to disk. What do you know of the computer, do you need to use OpenMP or MPI?

Related to PTRAC File - MCNP - Multi-core computing

What is a PTRAC file in MCNP?

A PTRAC file in MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a detailed output file that records the history of particles as they travel through the simulated geometry. It contains information about each event a particle undergoes, such as collisions, absorptions, and boundary crossings, which can be used for in-depth analysis and debugging of simulations.

How can I enable PTRAC output in an MCNP simulation?

To enable PTRAC output in an MCNP simulation, you need to include the PTRAC card in your input file. This card specifies the types of events to be recorded and the particles to be tracked. For example, using "PTRAC=1000000" would record data for 1,000,000 particles. Additional parameters can be set to filter the data recorded, such as particle type, energy range, and specific interactions.

What are the common uses of PTRAC files?

PTRAC files are commonly used for detailed particle tracking and analysis, debugging complex simulations, verifying and validating models, and understanding the behavior of particles in specific regions or under certain conditions. They are particularly useful in research areas like radiation shielding, detector design, and nuclear reactor analysis.

How can I analyze PTRAC files efficiently?

Analyzing PTRAC files efficiently often involves using specialized software tools or custom scripts. Tools like MCNP's own PTRAC utilities, Python scripts, or other data analysis software can help parse the large amount of data and extract meaningful information. Multi-core computing can also be leveraged to speed up the analysis process by parallelizing the data processing tasks.

Can MCNP simulations with PTRAC output be run on multi-core systems?

Yes, MCNP simulations with PTRAC output can be run on multi-core systems. MCNP supports parallel processing using MPI (Message Passing Interface) to distribute the workload across multiple cores or nodes. This can significantly reduce the computation time, especially for large and complex simulations that generate extensive PTRAC data. Proper configuration of the MPI environment and the MCNP input file is necessary to utilize multi-core computing effectively.