Pulley attached to two objects with a rope

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a rope with a nonzero mass and a pulley with a negligible radius. The blocks have different masses and there is friction between block A and the table top. The objective is to find the minimum distance at which the blocks will start to move if they are initially at rest. The relevant equations for solving this problem are F=ma, Torque = F*R, Work = F * ds, dx = Vot + .5at^2, Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax, and f = mu * N. It is important to draw a free body diagram to understand the relationships between the forces and masses involved. The mass of the pulley is not mentioned
zm500

Homework Statement

In the system shown in the figure , block A has mass = 2.00 , block B has mass = 0.360 , and the rope connecting them has a nonzero mass 0.240 . The rope has a total length 1.10 and the pulley has a very small radius. Let be the length of rope that hangs vertically between the pulley and block B. If there is friction between block A and the table top, with mu_Kinetic = 0.203 and mu_Static= 0.250, find the minimum value of the distance such that the blocks will start to move if they are initially at rest. Ignore any sag in the horizontal part of the rope.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5571/capturejup.jpg

Homework Equations

F= ma
Torque = F*R
Work = F * ds
dx = Vot + .5at^2
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax
f = mu * N

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt at a solution
I know how to draw Free body diagram, but i got confused when the problem mentioned the mass of the pulley. What's the significance of it? Do I apply work in this? I literally no idea how to start this problem! >.<

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zm500 said:
I know how to draw Free body diagram, but i got confused when the problem mentioned the mass of the pulley. What's the significance of it? Do I apply work in this? I literally no idea how to start this problem! >.<

I don't see the mass of the pulley being mentioned in the problem.

gneill said:
I don't see the mass of the pulley being mentioned in the problem.

Well, my professor told me to always draw the Free Body Diagram, but i can't seem to find the relationship [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma with finding the distance.

zm500 said:
Well, my professor told me to always draw the Free Body Diagram,
That's very good advice. :approve: Do that with this problem too! :smile:
but i can't seem to find the relationship [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = ma with finding the distance.
As gneill points out, no information was given about the pulley except that it has a negligible radius. You should assume that the pulley is mass-less and frictionless.

But the rope has mass!

The force due to gravity (the pulling force) is not only a function of mass B's weight, But also the mass of the vertical portion of the rope that happens to be hanging off the pulley.

And it actually gets a little more complicated than that too. Block A is also supporting a portion of the rope's weight (the section of rope that is horizontal). Half of the horizontal portion of the rope is supported by the pulley, and the remaining half of the horizontal part is supported by block A. So the normal force is a function of the weight of the horizontal portion of the rope (and that is in addition to the weight of block A).

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information. The mass of the pulley is significant because it affects the system's overall mass and thus its inertia. This would impact the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the rope. Additionally, I would ask for clarification on the statement "If there is friction between block A and the table top" - does this mean there is no friction between block B and the table top? I would also ask for more information on the setup of the pulley and how it is attached to the two blocks. This information is necessary for accurately calculating the tension in the rope and the forces acting on the blocks. Once all necessary information is provided, I would use the given equations and principles of mechanics to solve for the minimum distance needed for the blocks to start moving.

Related to Pulley attached to two objects with a rope

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects by using a rope or cable that runs around a wheel with a groove. It allows you to change the direction of the force needed to lift an object.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. It redistributes the force needed to lift an object over a larger distance, making it easier to lift the object.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a structure and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted, and both the object and the pulley move. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley?

The main advantage of using a pulley is that it can make it easier to lift heavy objects. It also allows you to change the direction of the force needed to lift an object, which can be useful in certain situations. Additionally, using a pulley system can help distribute the weight of an object more evenly, reducing strain on one specific point.

5. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the load force by the effort force. For example, if you need to lift a 100-pound object and the pulley system reduces the force needed by half, the mechanical advantage would be 2. This means that you only need to apply 50 pounds of force to lift the object.