Pulley connects 2 masses, problem with inertia to accelleration calculation

In summary, the given setup consists of two masses, one on a slope, connected by a pulley with friction present. The ground also has friction. The acceleration of the blocks is 0.309m/s2 and the tension in both cords is 7.67N and 9.22N. The equations used were F=ma, \tau=RFsin(\theta), \sum \tau = I\alpha, and a_t=r\alpha. The mistake in the derivation was using I=MR^2 instead of I=\frac{MR^2}{2} for a disk, resulting in an incorrect factor of 2.
satisf

Homework Statement

Given is the setup in the attachment, I think the values speak for itself. Additionally, there is a friction coefficient of 0.36 that works in on the 2 blocks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29993&d=1290281397.png

So in short: 2 masses (1 one a slope), connected through a pulley, that does have friction and to complete it, the ground has friction to.

Asked:
a) Accelleration of blocks (0.309m/s2)
b) Tension in both cords (7.67N and 9.22N)

I actually got quite far, I even know what I am missing in my own derivation, a factor of 2 (will explain below). But I can't manage to see why. It's in the derivation for a, a to b Is no problem.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]\tau=RFsin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\sum \tau = I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]a_t=r\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using free-body calculations I found expressions for T1 (left block) and T2 (right block), as follows:

[tex]T_1=m_1a+0.36m_1g[/tex]
[tex]T_2=-m_2a+m_2g\mathrm{cos}(\frac{\pi}{3})-0.36m_2g\mathrm{sin}(\frac{\pi}{3})[/tex]

I'm quite sure that these are correct, since substituting the solution for a in these gives me the correct tensions.

Now to bring in the pulley I started with this:
[tex]\sum \tau = I\alpha=I\frac{a}{R}=MR^2\frac{A}{R}=MRa[/tex]

Then, knowing that [tex]\tau_1=RT_1\mathrm{sin}(\theta_1)[/tex] and [tex]\tau_2=RT_2\mathrm{sin}(\theta_2)[/tex] and both sinuses will equal one I get to:

[tex]RF_1+RF_2=MRa[/tex]
or the more familiar
[tex]F_1+F_2=Ma[/tex]

But this is where things go wrong, as far as I know it should be [tex]\frac{M}{2}[/tex] on the right hand side. And yes, when I do put in a factor of 2 I get the correct solution.

So now my question is: where the hell in my derivation did I forget the factor?

P.S. while previewing this post the latex got messed up, If it's not solved in final submit, can some moderator adjust it?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 663
Physics news on Phys.org
Allright, the error was of course that for a disk [tex]I=\frac{MR^2}{2}[/tex]. I relied to blindly on the formulaium i got. [tex]I=mr²[/tex] is for point masses, so for a disk you get following equation for I:

[ŧex]I=int_0^\pi int_0^R \frac{M}{\pi r^2} r^2 r \mathrm{d}r\mathrm{d}\theta = \ldots = \frac{MR^2}{2}[/tex]

Note the extra r is of course because the equation is in polar coordinates and the division by [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] is of course to get the uniform mass distribution.

If you use this formulah in my original post, everything is correct.

Related to Pulley connects 2 masses, problem with inertia to accelleration calculation

What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that fits into the groove. When one end of the rope is attached to a load and the other end is pulled, the load is lifted as the wheel turns. This allows for the transfer of force to move objects that would otherwise be too heavy to lift manually.

How does a pulley connect two masses?

A pulley system can be used to connect two masses by attaching one mass to the end of the rope or belt and the other mass to the other end. As one mass moves up, the other mass will move down, connected by the pulley.

What is inertia and how does it affect acceleration calculations in a pulley system?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In a pulley system, the inertia of the masses affects the acceleration calculations as it determines how much force is needed to overcome the mass and move it. The larger the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

How do you calculate acceleration in a pulley system?

To calculate acceleration in a pulley system, you can use the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses connected by the pulley, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula takes into account the mass and inertia of both masses to determine the acceleration of the system.

What are some common problems with calculating acceleration in a pulley system?

One common problem with calculating acceleration in a pulley system is neglecting the mass of the pulley itself. The mass of the pulley can affect the acceleration of the system and should be taken into account in the calculations. Another problem is not considering friction or other external forces that may affect the acceleration of the masses. These factors can impact the accuracy of the acceleration calculations in a pulley system.