Pulley Mass Calculation: Atwood's Machine

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood's machine with two masses (m1 = 5.0 kg and m2 = 3.0 kg) and a pulley with a radius of 12 cm. The initial conditions are that m1 is at a height of 0.92 m and both masses are at rest. When m1 hits the ground, its speed is 1.1 m/s. To determine the pulley's mass, conservation of energy and the kinetic energy equation are used. However, the answer is being marked incorrectly on Webassign. The solution may require taking into account gravitational potential energy as well.
becca89

Homework Statement

The two masses (m1 = 5.0 kg and m2 = 3.0 kg) in the Atwood's machine shown in Figure 10-23 are released from rest, with m1 at a height of 0.92 m above the floor. When m1 hits the ground its speed is 1.1 m/s. Assume that the pulley is a uniform disk with a radius of 12 cm.

Determine the pulley's mass.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy Ef=Ei
K= 1/2mv2+1/2Iw2 (w = omega)
I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to cancel out as much as I could form the "K" equation and fill it in. Webassign keeps determining my answer wrong...

Attachments

• 10-23.gif
    10-23.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you did. Hint: Don't forget gravitational potential energy.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known values and the unknown value. The known values are the masses of m1 and m2, the height of m1 above the ground, and the speed of m1 when it hits the ground. The unknown value is the mass of the pulley.

Next, I would use the conservation of energy equation, Ef=Ei, to solve for the unknown value. This equation states that the total energy of a system remains constant, so the initial energy (Ei) must equal the final energy (Ef).

The initial energy in this system is the potential energy of m1 at a height of 0.92 m above the ground, given by m1gh, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. The final energy is the kinetic energy of m1 just before it hits the ground, given by 1/2m1v^2.

Since the pulley is a uniform disk, we can use the moment of inertia equation, I=1/2mr^2, to calculate its moment of inertia. We know the radius of the pulley is 12 cm, so we can plug in this value and the unknown mass of the pulley into the equation.

Finally, we can set the initial energy equal to the final energy and solve for the unknown mass of the pulley. This will give us the correct answer for the pulley's mass.

It is possible that the answer you obtained using the above method was incorrect due to a calculation error. As a scientist, it is important to double check calculations to ensure accuracy. It is also possible that there was an error in the problem or in the software used for the homework assignment. In this case, it would be beneficial to reach out to the instructor for clarification or assistance.

Related to Pulley Mass Calculation: Atwood's Machine

What is an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple physics device that consists of two masses connected by a string or cable passing over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of acceleration, tension, and force in physics.

How do you calculate the mass of the pulley in an Atwood's Machine?

To calculate the mass of the pulley, you will need to know the masses of the two objects connected by the string, the acceleration of the system, and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the formula: mp = (m1*a1 + m2*a2)/(g*(a1+a2)), where mp is the mass of the pulley, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, a1 and a2 are their respective accelerations, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the significance of calculating the pulley mass in an Atwood's Machine?

The pulley mass is an important factor in determining the tension and acceleration of the system. It affects the overall mass of the system and can impact the accuracy of the results. Additionally, knowing the pulley mass can help in designing and constructing more efficient pulley systems.

What are some real-life applications of Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine is used in various real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. It is also used in physics experiments to study the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration.

What are some common misconceptions about Atwood's Machine?

One common misconception is that the mass of the pulley does not affect the results of the experiment. In reality, the pulley mass plays a significant role in the accuracy of the calculations. Another misconception is that the tension in the string is equal to the weight of the objects, when in fact, it is equal to the difference between the weights of the objects.