Pulley question- What have I done wrong here?

• Thread starter Mayzu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary: Chetan solves part (a) by calculating the net force on a 5kg block being pulled by a string, which turns out to be 78.4N. He then uses this to find the acceleration of the block, but his answer is incorrect. In part (b), he is unable to solve the problem and the correct answer is given as 3.29J.
Mayzu

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/ymNWTOV
Image isn't working, here is the question:

Homework Equations

F=ma
Weight force=mg
Frictional force=μkN

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part (a):[/B]
Force on 10kg block=mg=10x9.8=98N
This is equal to the tension force in the string, which is pulling the 5kg block right

Frictional force on the 5kg block (pulling it left):
F=μkN
=0.4*(mg)
=0.4*9.8*5
=19.6N

Therefore the net force on the block is 98-19.6=78.4N
F=ma
Therefore accelaration(5kg block)=F/m=78.4/5
This gave me 15.68m/s2, while the answer was actually 5.23...

Part b
I have no clue how to do this part! Answer is 3.29J...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mayzu said:

Homework Statement

Image isn't working, here is the question:

Homework Equations

F=ma
Weight force=mg
Frictional force=μkN

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part (a):[/B]
Force on 10kg block=mg=10x9.8=98N
This is equal to the tension force in the string, which is pulling the 5kg block right
No. This is incorrect. Have you drawn a free body diagram on the 10 kg block? Do you feel that you have advanced beyond the point where you need to draw free body diagrams? Let T represent the tension in the string. What is the net force acting on the 10 kg block?

Chet

Related to Pulley question- What have I done wrong here?

1. Why isn't the pulley system working?

There could be several reasons why the pulley system is not working. Some common issues include incorrect placement of the pulley, insufficient tension in the rope, or a malfunctioning pulley. Double check your setup and make sure everything is in the correct position.

2. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system, you need to count the number of ropes supporting the load and subtract one. For example, if there are three ropes supporting the load, the mechanical advantage would be 2 (3-1=2).

3. Can I use different sized pulleys in a pulley system?

Yes, you can use different sized pulleys in a pulley system as long as they are compatible with the rope and can support the load. However, using different sized pulleys may affect the mechanical advantage of the system.

4. How do I know if I have enough tension in the rope?

To determine if there is enough tension in the rope, you can perform a simple test by pulling down on the rope. If the rope stretches significantly, then it may not have enough tension. Adjust the placement of the pulley or add more tension to the rope to ensure it can support the load.

5. Can I use a pulley system to lift heavy objects?

Yes, pulley systems are commonly used for lifting heavy objects. However, it is important to make sure that the pulleys and ropes are strong enough to support the weight. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions when using a pulley system to lift heavy objects.