Pulling a Cylinder: Understanding x, y & theta Relations

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary: I can see 4 equations with 4 unknowns (the accelerations of point mass m and center of mass of cylinder, the angular acceleration ##\alpha## of cylinder and the tension ##T_m## in front of point mass m)One equation is the kinematic equation that relates ##a_m,a_{CM}, \alpha##. In my opinion it is $$a_m=a_{CM}+\alpha r$$Second equation and Third equation are Newton's 2nd law for the CM of cylinder and point mass m.Fourth equation is the torque balance on the cylinder ##T_{total}=I_{CM}\alpha##
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1592616000175.png
1592616010179.png

Basically, the problem is pretty easy if the constraints are understood, and this is my problem.
1592616211204.png
I am trying to figure out some relation between x, y, and theta. I don't know if seeing by this way is the better attempt.

Attachments

• 1592616092051.png
    1592616092051.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 1592616182345.png
    1592616182345.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear how you are defining x and y.
Seems to me there are three linear motions of interest. The constant that relates them is the length of the string. Write an equation to represent that.
There is also the angular motion of the cylinder, which relates to them through a second equation.

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: All below
Relevant Equations:: All below

View attachment 264924View attachment 264925
Basically, the problem is pretty easy if the constraints are understood, and this is my problem.
View attachment 264928I am trying to figure out some relation between x, y, and theta. I don't know if seeing by this way is the better attempt.
LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 264928I am trying to figure out some relation between x, y, and theta. I don't know if seeing by this way is the better attempt.
Is x is the position of the centre of the disk and y is the position of the small mass?
Take into consideration that the disk rolls on the piece of string, connected to m, but the string is also accelerating. Use the rolling condition for the motion of the disk

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist, Lnewqban and Delta2
I can see 4 equations with 4 unknowns (the accelerations of point mass m and center of mass of cylinder, the angular acceleration ##\alpha## of cylinder and the tension ##T_m## in front of point mass m)
One equation is the kinematic equation that relates ##a_m,a_{CM}, \alpha##. In my opinion it is $$a_m=a_{CM}+\alpha r$$
Second equation and Third equation are Newton's 2nd law for the CM of cylinder and point mass m.
Fourth equation is the torque balance on the cylinder ##T_{total}=I_{CM}\alpha##

I don't think you can solve the problem just by the kinematic equation as you mention in the OP.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist and Lnewqban
Note that the value of mass m (which only moves linearly) equals the value of the mass of the solid cylinder (which simultaneously rotates and moves linearly).
Now, imagine what would tend to happen in these two extreme conditions:

1) The value of mass m is so much bigger than the value of the mass of the solid cylinder, that you could consider the location of mass m to be an anchoring point for the string on the table.

1) The value of mass of the solid cylinder is so much bigger than the value of the mass m, that you could consider the acceleration and location of mass m irrelevant (but friction between string and cylinder still exist).

Likes LCSphysicist
Hi you all, reviewing this problem and with a little of formalism, i solved it.
Thank you.
XYZ normal, counterclock positive
-T1 = mx''
(T1 - T)R = I*theta''
T + Ta = m*A
theta''*R = X'' - A

I got x'' = -T/4m ;) the answer

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
I can see 4 equations with 4 unknowns (the accelerations of point mass m and center of mass of cylinder, the angular acceleration ##\alpha## of cylinder and the tension ##T_m## in front of point mass m)
One equation is the kinematic equation that relates ##a_m,a_{CM}, \alpha##. In my opinion it is $$a_m=a_{CM}+\alpha r$$
Second equation and Third equation are Newton's 2nd law for the CM of cylinder and point mass m.
Fourth equation is the torque balance on the cylinder ##T_{total}=I_{CM}\alpha##

I don't think you can solve the problem just by the kinematic equation as you mention in the OP.
Hey, could you expand your method of solving? My method was correct, but a little tiring.
I see your constraints, what are the directions you adopt?
I found
ar = acm + am
i am not sure about the signals, actually who see my questions,can see that this is about 90% the responsible by the problem i have in exercises

LCSphysicist said:
Hey, could you expand your method of solving? My method was correct, but a little tiring.
I found
ar = acm + am
i am not sure about the signals, actually who see my questions,can see that this is about 90% the responsible by the problem i have in exercises
My method of solving is basically what you did at post #6. You can take the positive x-direction towards right and for the rotation counterclockwise.
Yes you are right with this sign conventions the correct kinematic equation is ##\alpha r=a_{cm}+a_{m}##.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
I found
ar = acm + am
Signs must be the biggest single cause of errors. Generally I recommend sticking to standard conventions like up, to the right and anticlockwise are positive, but when it is clear that a particular variable will turn out negative under that arrangement it can be less confusing to adopt a convention that makes each variable positive.
Whatever you choose, write it down!

In the present case, with the orthodox convention, and writing a for the particle's acceleration, we can anticipate that a will turn out negative:
Torques about cylinder’s centre: ##-(T+ma)r=\frac 12 mr^2\alpha##.
Straight away that looks weird. Why T+ma?
Since particle m accelerates at a to the right there must be a right-positive force ma acting on it. Therefore there is a right-positive force -ma acting on the bottom of the diagram of the cylinder. This exerts an anticlockwise-positive torque -mar on the cylinder. Since T exerts an anticlockwise-positive torque -Tr, the sum is -(T+ma)r.

The rightward acceleration of the cylinder is ##a-r\alpha##. Again, we can predict the rotation will be clockwise, so ##\alpha## will be negative.
So for the linear acceleration of the system, ##T=ma+m(a-r\alpha)##.
These lead to ##a=-\frac T{4m}##.

With the "positive variables" convention, it is all the same but flipping the signs of a and ##\alpha##.

So how to check that your signs are right?
One test is to consider how the result changes as a certain variable increases or decreases in magnitude. You can apply this to each equation.

• Wow
Likes LCSphysicist

Related to Pulling a Cylinder: Understanding x, y & theta Relations

1. What is the purpose of pulling a cylinder?

The purpose of pulling a cylinder is to understand the relationship between the x, y, and theta coordinates of a point on the surface of the cylinder. This can help in visualizing and analyzing the motion of objects on or around the cylinder.

2. How is the x, y, and theta relationship represented?

The x, y, and theta relationship is often represented using a coordinate system, where x and y represent the horizontal and vertical coordinates of a point on the cylinder's surface, and theta represents the angular position of the point.

3. What factors affect the x, y, and theta relationship?

The x, y, and theta relationship can be affected by various factors, such as the radius and height of the cylinder, the position and orientation of the point on the cylinder's surface, and any external forces acting on the point.

4. How can understanding the x, y, and theta relationship be useful?

Understanding the x, y, and theta relationship can be useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects on or around a cylinder, and can also be applied to real-world scenarios, such as the motion of planets around the sun.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pulling a cylinder?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of pulling a cylinder. For example, in engineering, understanding the x, y, and theta relationship can help in designing and analyzing the motion of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines. In physics, it can be used to study the motion of particles on a curved surface, such as electrons on the surface of a cylinder. It can also be applied in various other fields, such as robotics, computer graphics, and astronomy.