Pulling a Sled: Solve the Homework Problem

In summary, a girl pulling a 6.5 kg sled with a rope at a 35 degree angle with the horizontal experiences a resistive force of 15 N. If she pulls with a force of 70 N, the sled will accelerate at 6.51 m/s^2. If she pulls with a force of 140 N, the acceleration will be different.
runningirl

Homework Statement

A girl is pulling a 6.5 kg sled by a rope. The rope make a 35 degree angle with the horizontal. Friction provides a resistive force of 15 N.

a) If she pulls with a force of 70 N, what will be the acceleration of the sled?

b)If she pulls with a force of 140 N, what happens differently?

Homework Equations

f=ma=net force-normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

0=70sin35+Fn-(6.5*9.8)
Fn=23.5 N

then i got tripped up...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get "0=70sin35+Fn-(6.5*9.8)"?

it's the net force.

Sum of the forces = ma.

There are two forces. The force pulling the sled and the resistive frictional force. You need to find the horizontal component of the pulling force (check your trig function.) The sum of the forces is simply those two added together. The mass is given. Solve for acceleration.

cdotter said:
Sum of the forces = ma.

There are two forces. The force pulling the sled and the resistive frictional force. You need to find the horizontal component of the pulling force (check your trig function.) The sum of the forces is simply those two added together. The mass is given. Solve for acceleration.

is the resistive force 15Fn?

runningirl said:
is the resistive force 15Fn?

Yes.

coefficient of friction*Fn=Force of friction
coefficient*23.5=15
coefficient=.64 N

so -.64(23.5)+70(cos35)
=-15+60.62
75.62=(6.5)(a)
a=9.33 m/s/s

You don't need to calculate the coefficient of friction (and you can't, from the data given.) Also, the coefficient of friction has no units.

The resistive frictional force is given and opposes the horizontal pulling force like so:

Fhorizontal=70N*cos(35)
Fresistive=-15N
ΣF=Fhorizontal+Fresistive=(70N*cos(35))+(-15N)=42.34N

Mass is given as m=6.5kg. Solve for acceleration (a.)

ΣF=ma
42.34N=(6.5kg)a
a=6.51 m/s^2

FAQ: Pulling a Sled: Solve the Homework Problem

1. How do I calculate the force needed to pull a sled?

The force needed to pull a sled can be calculated by using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the sled in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I determine the frictional force acting on the sled?

The frictional force acting on the sled can be determined by using the formula Ff = μ x N, where Ff is the frictional force in Newtons, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the sled.

3. How do I know the angle of inclination for the sled?

The angle of inclination for the sled can be determined by measuring the height and length of the slope and using the formula θ = tan^-1(h/l), where θ is the angle of inclination, h is the height of the slope, and l is the length of the slope.

4. How do I factor in the weight of the sled and the person pulling it?

The weight of the sled and the person pulling it can be factored in by adding their masses to the total mass in the formula F = m x a. This will give you the total force needed to overcome the weight of the sled and the person.

5. How do I account for variations in the surface or terrain?

To account for variations in the surface or terrain, you can adjust the coefficient of friction in the formula Ff = μ x N. A lower coefficient of friction will make it easier to pull the sled, while a higher coefficient of friction will make it more difficult.