Pumping fluid against a centrifugal force

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical problem involving a rotating axle with an oil pump on an extending arm. The goal is to calculate the pressure drop along the oil canal in the arm and determine the pressure at the center of the axle where the centrifugal force is equal to zero. The person initially tries to use Bernoulli's equation but it does not work, so they suggest using a conservation of energy equation for steady flow in a corotating frame. They also suggest using the formula ρω2r2/2 to account for the centrifugal force.
helgi2008
Hello.

I am in need of some assistance regarding a theoratical problem I have. It goes something like this:

Imagine a vertically placed axle, rotating at a constant angular velocity (omega). From the middle of this axle extends an arm and on the edge of that arm is a unit containing (amongst other things) an oil pump. The purpose of this oil pump is to pump the oil from the unit to the centre of the rotating axle (against the centrifugal force). Say that the exit pressure of the pump is 25 bar, how do I calculate the pressure drop along the oil canal in the arm (assuming zero friction in the pipe itself)? Ultimately, I would like to know the pressure reading at the centre of the rotating axle, where the centrifugal force is equal to zero.

At first, I thought I could use Bernoulli's equation for incompressible flow, but it doesn't appear to be working for me, as I get a higher pressure reading at the centre of the axle, than at the exit of the pump.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello helgi2008! :smile:
helgi2008 said:
… At first, I thought I could use Bernoulli's equation for incompressible flow, but it doesn't appear to be working for me, as I get a higher pressure reading at the centre of the axle, than at the exit of the pump.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=115" is essentially a conservation of energy equation, and should apply to any steady flow

to make the flow steady, i assume you're already using a corotating frame?

then there's an ρω2r centrifugal force, so instead of a ρgh https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=269" term, try ρω2r2/2 :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Pumping fluid against a centrifugal force

1. How does a centrifugal force affect fluid flow in a pump?

A centrifugal force is a radial force that causes objects to move away from a central point. In a pump, this force is used to create a pressure gradient that pushes fluid outwards, increasing the flow rate.

2. What factors determine the effectiveness of pumping fluid against a centrifugal force?

The effectiveness of pumping fluid against a centrifugal force depends on the speed of the pump, the size and shape of the impeller, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference across the pump.

3. Can a centrifugal pump be used to pump any type of fluid?

While centrifugal pumps are versatile and can handle a wide range of fluids, they are not suitable for all types of fluids. Some fluids, such as highly viscous or abrasive liquids, may require specialized pumps.

4. How can I calculate the head and flow rate of a centrifugal pump?

The head and flow rate of a centrifugal pump can be calculated using the pump's performance curve, which shows the relationship between flow rate, head, and power. By selecting a point on the curve that corresponds to the desired flow rate, the head can be determined.

5. What are some common applications of pumping fluid against a centrifugal force?

Centrifugal pumps are commonly used in applications such as water supply and distribution, irrigation, sewage treatment, chemical processing, and oil and gas production. They are also used in heating and cooling systems, car washes, and in the food and beverage industry.