Pumping Gasoline: Work and Cost Calculation

• Thread starter greenpick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gasoline
In summary: This is about 127234.5 foot-pounds, or 3.8559 horsepower. That works out to be 2.875 horsepower for every minute of work that is done, or 7.2 cents per kilowatt hour.
greenpick

Homework Statement

Gasoline is stored in a cylindrical tank buried on its side, with the highest part of the tank 5 ft below the surface. The tank is 6 ft in diameter and 10 ft long. Density of gasoline is 45 lb/cubic ft. Assume that the filler cap of each automobile gas tank is 2 ft above the ground.
(a) How much work is done in emptying all the gasoline from the tank, which is initially full?

(b) Recall that 1 hp is equivalent to 33,000 ft-lbs/min. For electrical conversions 1 kW (1000W) is the same as 1.341 hp. The charge for use of electricity generated by a power company is about 7.2 cents per kWh. Assume that the electrical motor in the gas pump is 30% efficient. How much does it cost to pump all the gasoine from this tank?

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)volume of a generic "slice" = 10 * 2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]y = 20[tex]\sqrt{9-y^2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y
Force acting on that slice = 45 * 20[tex]\sqrt{9-y^2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y
W to pump that slice up =
900[tex]\sqrt{9-y^2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y(10-y)
Total work = [tex]\int900\sqrt{9-y^2}(10-y)[/tex] from -3 to 3 [tex]\approx[/tex] 127,234.5 ft-lbs

(b)I know this isn't right... And it's probably very confusing as well.
127,234.5 ft-lbs * (1 hp/ 33,000 fl-lbs/min) = 3.8559 hp * min * (1 kW/ 1.341 hp) = 2.875 * 1000 J/s * min = 2.875 * 1000 J/s * 60 s = 175,209.66 J * (1 kWh/ 3,600,000 J) = .0479 kWh * 7.2 cents = .345 cents
for efficiency, I divided the final answer by .3 which gives me 1.15 cents, which is obviously not right.

The first part may be right, but I really don't know what to do on the second part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so 1 cent worth of power will buy you 1.341*33000*60*(0.3)/7.2 ft-lbs of energy counting the efficiency factor. If I divide 127234 by that I get 1.15 cents. I don't think that's obviously not right. Though I've got to confess the units conversions are making me dizzy.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
So it appears that 1.15 cents is correct? I just thought it would cost so much more for all of that work! If you're up to it, would you mind checking if I calculated the work correctly?
Man, calculating work is a ton of work!:eek:

greenpick said:
Thanks for your help.
So it appears that 1.15 cents is correct? I just thought it would cost so much more for all of that work! If you're up to it, would you mind checking if I calculated the work correctly?
Man, calculating work is a ton of work!:eek:

It actually easy to do in this case. The work is just the work required to raise the center of mass of the underground tank to the level of the automobile, 10 ft.

Related to Pumping Gasoline: Work and Cost Calculation

1. What is the process of pumping gasoline?

The process of pumping gasoline involves inserting a nozzle into your vehicle's gas tank, selecting the type and amount of fuel you want, and then pumping the gasoline from the underground storage tank into your vehicle's tank.

2. How does the cost of gasoline affect the price at the pump?

The cost of gasoline is determined by a variety of factors, including the cost of crude oil, refining and transportation costs, taxes, and market demand. All of these factors contribute to the final price at the pump.

3. How is the work of pumping gasoline calculated?

The work of pumping gasoline is calculated by multiplying the amount of gasoline pumped (in gallons) by the force required to pump one gallon of gasoline (in joules). This calculation takes into account the energy required to overcome friction and pressure within the pumping system.

4. Why do gas prices vary between gas stations?

Gas prices can vary between gas stations due to competition, location, and operational costs. Gas stations in high-traffic areas or near major highways may charge higher prices due to increased demand, while stations in more rural areas may offer lower prices to attract customers.

5. How can I save money on pumping gasoline?

To save money on pumping gasoline, consider purchasing a fuel-efficient vehicle, choosing a gas station with lower prices, and using loyalty programs or credit cards that offer cash back or discounts on gas purchases. Additionally, practicing good driving habits, such as maintaining a steady speed and avoiding excessive idling, can improve fuel efficiency and save money at the pump.