Pumping Warm Crude Oil: Calculating NPSA & Velocity Head

In summary, at an oil refinery, a mobile centrifugal pump is used to pump warm crude oil from a storage tank at a liquid level of 3 metres above the pump. The suction side of the pump is fed with a flexible hose that is 10 metres long. The crude oil has a density of 846 kg/m3 and a flow rate of 4000 kg/h. The internal diameter of the flexible hose is 50mm and the vapor pressure of the crude oil is 0.0654 bar (a). The friction head in the suction line is 1.2 m and the NPSA available is calculated using the formula [
pray4mojo
At an oil refinery, a mobile centrifugal pump is used to pump warm crude oil from a storage tank. Liquid level in tank at elevation of 3 metres above pump. Suction side of pump is fed with a flexible hose that is 10 metres long.
Crude oil density: 846 kg/m3
Crude flow 4000 kg/h
Internal diameter of flexible hose: 50mm
Vapor Pressure of crude oil: 0.0654 bar (a)
Friction head in suction line: 1.2 m

NPSA Available = [P(atm) - Pv] / [density * grav] + hs - hf

Velocity Head: H(v) = u^2/2g
[where u = Q/pi*r^2]

I have plugged in my values into the two above equations to find out NPSHa and Velocity head.
However, the 10m value that is mentioned for the flexible hose i did not plug in.Does this 10m value need to be used in the solution or is it just for the purpose of a sketch?
My solution is attached, any help will be kindly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mojo

Attachments

• npsh.jpg
    npsh.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 399
Engineering news on Phys.org

Think about a term for the friction in the inlet piping...You already show the term for it.

So the Head loss in the suction line will be the frictional head loss which is the 1.2m value given in the question..

Also The formula is H(v) = u^2/2g
[where u = Q/pi*r^2]

Therefore when calculating Q, i must divide by 3600 and also multiply by radius squared and Pi and After converting Q to m3/s,

My final answer for the velocity head is 9 x 10-3

Your NPSHa looks good. I get .022 for the velocity head though.

Thanks Fred,

I reworked my solution to the velocity head and got an answer of 0.02281m also..

Converting my u value to m3/hr involved 4000/846 then multiplying by 3600 and the area

FAQ: Pumping Warm Crude Oil: Calculating NPSA & Velocity Head

1. What is NPSA and why is it important in pumping warm crude oil?

NPSA stands for Net Positive Suction Head Available. It is a critical factor in pumping warm crude oil as it measures the pressure head available at the suction side of the pump. This is important because if the NPSA is lower than the required NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head), it can lead to cavitation which can damage the pump and decrease its efficiency.

2. How is NPSA calculated for pumping warm crude oil?

NPSA is calculated by subtracting the vapor pressure of the fluid from the total suction head. The vapor pressure can be determined using temperature and pressure data from the fluid's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). The total suction head includes the static head, friction head losses, and entrance losses.

3. What is velocity head and how does it affect pumping warm crude oil?

Velocity head is the kinetic energy of the fluid as it moves through the pump. It is important to consider in pumping warm crude oil as it can impact the pressure and flow rate of the fluid. If the velocity head is too high, it can result in excessive turbulence and energy losses, while too low velocity head can cause the pump to run dry and decrease its efficiency.

4. How can the velocity head be calculated for pumping warm crude oil?

The velocity head can be calculated by dividing the velocity of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity. The velocity can be determined by dividing the volumetric flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. It is important to note that the velocity head can change as the flow rate and pipe size are altered.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate NPSA and velocity head when pumping warm crude oil?

Accurately calculating NPSA and velocity head is crucial in pumping warm crude oil as it ensures the pump is operating efficiently and prevents damage. If these factors are not properly calculated, it can lead to cavitation, excessive energy losses, and decreased flow rate. This can result in increased maintenance costs and reduced productivity in the oil production process.