Pumpkin/bowling ball launcher questions:

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for improving results in a pumpkin launching contest, specifically using elastic bands or compressed coil springs to propel the pumpkin. There are concerns about cost and potential damage, and the question of whether using both methods is scientifically sound. Experimentation is recommended to find the most effective design.
R_Rose
I'm trying to figure out a way to get better results in a "pumpkin launching" contest. The goal is to
launch an 8-12 lb pumpkin (or bowling ball) as far as possible.One method is going to use elastic, bungee or large rubber/latex bands as the method of propulsion. The problem is there are limiting factors which impede this design the larger it gets (cost being one of them).

I was thinking of a way to help infuse more power into the system with other means of accelerating the projectile but am unsure if it will aid in the overall performance.

I have considered using compressed coil springs, each with a 2000lb compression capacity and 8-10 inches of expansion capacity. The springs (4) would be used to move the entire launch device in the same angle and direction of launch (obviously causing stress on the launch device upon reaching terminus). At some point during the expansion of the springs, the primary firing mechanism would release the elastic bands.

Obviously 8-10" of movement allows very little time to initiate launch so I have considered using a block and tackle with multiple pullies to increase distance & time of travel, reduce damage to launch mechanism.

As the springs decompress, the entire mechanism accelerates later initiating the final launch. My question is if this theory in using two methods to power the launch is scientifically sound. If the launch device is moving at say 3ft/.1 seconds = 30 fps = 20mph, how will this affect the item being launched?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

Your question can't be answered by simple physical laws. You are trading one kind of inefficiency for other forms of inefficiency .

Experimentation, not calculation will lead you to the best design.

Good luck

R_Rose said:
I have considered using compressed coil springs, each with a 2000lb compression capacity and 8-10 inches of expansion capacity.
At the risk of stating the obvious... A spring of that size will do a lot of damage if it releases unexpectedly. If you try something along these lines, treat your compressed springs with the same respect you'd show a cocked handgun.

If you can make it all work then it should improve the distance. However I'm a great believer in KISS.

I believe you would need to ensure the launching apparatus is moving for the whole duration that the elastic is accelerating the ball. However springs tend to operate over a short distance.

Related to Pumpkin/bowling ball launcher questions:

1. How does a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher work?

A pumpkin/bowling ball launcher uses a combination of potential and kinetic energy to launch the projectile. The launcher typically has a spring or compressed air mechanism that stores potential energy. When released, this energy is transferred to the projectile, propelling it forward.

2. How far can a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher launch a projectile?

The distance a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher can launch a projectile depends on several factors including the design of the launcher, the size and weight of the projectile, and the amount of potential energy stored in the launcher. Some high-powered pumpkin launchers can launch a pumpkin over 1 mile.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when using a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher?

When using a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, using the launcher in a clear and open area, and never standing in front of the launcher while it is in use.

4. Can a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher be used for any other types of projectiles?

Yes, a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher can be used with a variety of projectiles such as watermelons, tennis balls, or even small cars. However, it is important to always use projectiles that are appropriate for the strength and design of the launcher to ensure safety.

5. Is it possible to build a pumpkin/bowling ball launcher at home?

Yes, there are many DIY pumpkin/bowling ball launcher plans and tutorials available online. However, it is important to have a thorough understanding of how the launcher works and to follow all safety precautions when building and using it.