Pure maths for physics undergrads

• Foundations
  • Thread starter Toby_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Pure
In summary, pure maths is essential in physics as it lays the foundation for understanding physical phenomena. While it may be challenging for some physics undergrads, with dedication and practice, most can grasp the fundamental concepts. Pure maths differs from applied maths in that it focuses on theoretical concepts while applied maths is more practical. Some specific areas of pure maths that are relevant to physics include calculus, linear algebra, and group theory. To improve understanding, regular practice and seeking help from a teacher are important, as well as making connections between pure maths and its applications in physics. Taking relevant elective courses can also deepen understanding.
Toby_phys
I am off to start a physics degree in September, with the aim of going into theoretical research. However, for this I feel my pure maths skills need to be better. I know in a physics degree I will learn how to use pure maths (how to solve differential equation, how to use matrices, how to use geometry) however I would also like to know some pure maths (analysis, pure algebra, pure calculus etc). What are good first year books on these topics?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Pure maths for physics undergrads

1. What is the importance of pure maths in physics?

Pure maths is extremely important in physics as it provides the mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing physical phenomena. Many fundamental concepts in physics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, have their roots in pure mathematics. Without a strong foundation in pure maths, it would be difficult to fully comprehend and apply complex physical theories.

2. Is pure maths difficult for physics undergrads?

The level of difficulty of pure maths for physics undergrads can vary depending on their background and aptitude for math. However, with dedication and practice, most students can grasp the fundamental concepts and apply them to solve problems in physics. It is important for students to have a strong foundation in basic math skills before tackling more complex pure maths concepts.

3. How does pure maths differ from applied maths in the context of physics?

Pure maths is focused on theoretical concepts and abstract ideas, while applied maths is more concerned with using mathematical tools and methods to solve practical problems. In physics, pure maths is used to develop and prove theories, while applied maths is used to calculate and model physical systems. Both are important in understanding and advancing our understanding of the physical world.

4. Are there any specific areas of pure maths that are particularly relevant to physics?

Yes, there are several areas of pure maths that are particularly relevant to physics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and group theory. These mathematical concepts are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, from the motion of objects to the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How can I improve my understanding of pure maths for physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of pure maths for physics is to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to make connections between pure maths concepts and their applications in physics. Additionally, taking elective courses in pure maths that are specific to physics, such as mathematical methods for physics, can also deepen your understanding of the subject.