Purpose of parametric equations

In summary, when using parametric equations to calculate the area of a region, the "definite integral of area" follows the same principles as in rectangular or polar coordinates, but the equations used to represent the region may be different.
xyz3003
I am confused myself, so I post the Q.

when we talk about "definite integral of area" in rectangular or polar coordinates, the "area" is quite clear, at least people do it in this way in general:

rectangular coordinate: area between locus y=f(x) and x axis.
polar coordinate: sector area from original point to locus between start and end angles.

parametric equations use third param, such as t, to describle (x,y).

when we use parametric equations in real world (such as physics), is the "definite integral of area" similar to rectangular coordinate or polar coordinate in general or in most of cases?

any samples or explanations are highly appreciated.

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xyz3003 said:
I am confused myself, so I post the Q.

when we talk about "definite integral of area" in rectangular or polar coordinates, the "area" is quite clear, at least people do it in this way in general:

rectangular coordinate: area between locus y=f(x) and x axis.
polar coordinate: sector area from original point to locus between start and end angles.

parametric equations use third param, such as t, to describle (x,y).

when we use parametric equations in real world (such as physics), is the "definite integral of area" similar to rectangular coordinate or polar coordinate in general or in most of cases?
In the context of your question, "definite integral of area" doesn't make sense. You are calculating a definite integral to find the area of some region -- you aren't taking the definite integral of an area.

With parametric equations, we can represent the x and y coordinates as functions of a parameter, say t.

Here's an example of how they might be used. Consider the portion of the unit circle in the first quadrant. We know that the area of this quarter-circle is ##\frac \pi 4##.

We can parametrize the circle by the equations ##x = \cos(\theta), y = \sin(\theta), 0 \le \theta \le \frac \pi 2##.
Divide the quarter circle into thin "pie slices," each of area ##\Delta A = \frac 1 2 r^2 d\theta##. This is a formula you probably learned when you were doing integration with polar coordinates. Each of these slices is formed by two rays extending from the origin out to the circle, where the angle between the rays is ##\Delta \theta##.
slice.png

The integral for the area of this quarter circle is $$\int_0^{\pi/2} dA = \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac 1 2 r^2 d\theta$$
Since r = 1 for the circle, the integral becomes ##\frac 1 2 \int_0^{\pi/2} d\theta = \frac 1 2 (\frac \pi 2 - 0) = \frac \pi 4##, which is what we expected.

Related to Purpose of parametric equations

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are mathematical equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe curves and surfaces.

What is the purpose of parametric equations?

The purpose of parametric equations is to provide a way to describe complex curves and surfaces that cannot be easily expressed using traditional equations. They allow us to represent these shapes and their properties in a more concise and efficient manner.

How do parametric equations differ from traditional equations?

Traditional equations are usually written in terms of x and y, while parametric equations use one or more parameters to describe the coordinates of a point. This allows for more flexibility and precision in describing complex curves and surfaces.

What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations provide a more efficient and accurate way to describe complex curves and surfaces. They also allow for easier manipulation and graphing of these shapes, as well as the ability to model real-world phenomena in mathematics and science.

How are parametric equations used in real life?

Parametric equations are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze natural phenomena such as planetary orbits, projectile motion, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in designing and creating computer-generated images and animations.