Pushing a lawn mower, total force exerted?

• Thread starter tbaskerv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a person pushing a 13.0 kg lawn mower at a constant speed with a force of 77.0 N at an angle of 49.0° to the horizontal. The question asks to calculate the force needed to accelerate the lawn mower from rest to 1.8 m/s in 2.0 seconds, taking into account a retarding force of -50.5 N in the x direction. Using the equation v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 aΔx, the acceleration is found to be 0.81 m/s^2. By multiplying this acceleration by the mass of the lawn mower, the force needed to accelerate it is calculated to be 10
tbaskerv

Homework Statement

A person pushes a 13.0 kg lawn mower at constant speed with a force of 77.0 N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of θ = 49.0° to the horizontal.

Calculate the force the person must exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.8 m/s in 2.0 seconds with a retarding force of -50.5 N in the x direction.

Homework Equations

Using LaTeX Code: v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \\Delta x I found a = 0.81 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the acceleration of 0.81 m/s^2 times 13 kg I get F = 10.5 N, now I think I'm supposed to add the retarding force, but 61 N isn't correct.
Did I miss something?
Found the retarding force by finding the Fpcos(49) = 50.5 (in the x direction) Fp = 77.0 N.
Beyond that I'm lost. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, another problem helped me out, thank you! More will come!

I would like to clarify a few things about the given scenario. Firstly, the total force exerted on the lawn mower can be calculated by adding the force applied by the person (77.0 N) and the retarding force (-50.5 N), which gives a total force of 26.5 N. This is because the retarding force is acting in the opposite direction of the person's applied force.

Furthermore, the given information does not specify the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. In order to accurately calculate the force required to accelerate the lawn mower, we need to know the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. Additionally, the given acceleration value of 0.81 m/s^2 does not match with the given information of the lawn mower moving at a constant speed.

In order to accurately calculate the force required to accelerate the lawn mower, we need to know the following information:

1. The direction and magnitude of the acceleration.
2. The initial velocity of the lawn mower.
3. The final velocity of the lawn mower.

Once we have this information, we can use the equation F = ma to calculate the force required to accelerate the lawn mower.

Related to Pushing a lawn mower, total force exerted?

1. How much force is required to push a lawn mower?

The amount of force required to push a lawn mower varies depending on several factors, including the weight and design of the lawn mower, the type of terrain it is being pushed on, and the physical strength of the person pushing it. However, on average, it takes about 30-50 pounds of force to push a typical gas-powered lawn mower.

2. Does pushing a lawn mower require more force on different types of terrain?

Yes, pushing a lawn mower on different types of terrain can require different amounts of force. For example, pushing a lawn mower on a flat, even surface will require less force compared to pushing it on a hilly or uneven terrain.

3. How does the weight of the lawn mower affect the force required to push it?

The weight of the lawn mower directly affects the force required to push it. Heavier lawn mowers will require more force to push compared to lighter ones. This is because the force needed to overcome the weight of the lawn mower increases as its weight increases.

4. Is it more difficult to push a lawn mower uphill?

Yes, it is typically more difficult to push a lawn mower uphill. This is because pushing a lawn mower on an incline requires more force to overcome the force of gravity pulling the lawn mower downwards. However, the amount of force required also depends on the steepness of the incline and the weight of the lawn mower.

5. Can pushing a lawn mower cause injury?

Yes, pushing a lawn mower can cause injury if proper safety precautions are not taken. This includes wearing appropriate footwear, using correct posture and technique, and being aware of potential hazards in the surrounding area. It is important to take breaks and stretch regularly while pushing a lawn mower to prevent strain or injury to muscles and joints.