Pushing more weight than you, does muscle matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about friction between two objects on a floor. The answer to the question depends on the coefficient of friction and it is possible for one or both objects to move. In a separate scenario involving a hydraulic actuator, the 200 lb weight will be pushed away from the 300 lb weight due to the difference in friction. The conversation also includes a personal anecdote about an argument between two individuals trying to pull each other on the floor, with one person noting that their weight affected the amount of friction and the other believing it was due to strength.
moparhomo
No need to make this question any more difficult than it needs to be. Simple, right? Please view the attachment, as it is the question.

Attachments

• Jon is wrong.jpg
    Jon is wrong.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The questions seem ill-posed and/or incomplete.

The answer to the first question depends on the coefficient of friction between the plates and the floor. The answer may be one, both, or neither move.

For the second scenario, you haven't said what is trying to be accomplished. Assuming that you have the hydraulic actuator slowly being extended, the 200 lb weight will be pushed away from the 300 lb weight due to the difference in friction between each object and the floor.

Thats all I really needed to know. This started out as an argument between my cousin and I. We were both laying on the floor and trying to pull each other towards ourselves. I explained to him that the problem was that, not that I was not strong enough to pull him, but that I did not weigh enough. He weighs 230 pounds and I weight about 140. Every time I tried to pull him towards me, I just moved towards him. He kept saying, and actually believed it was because I was not strong enough. I set up many models to prove to him that he was wrong and that I was right. I would have loved to be proved wrong, but in this case I know that because of my weight, I could not have enough friction between myself and the floor. I really had no choice but to try and get someone else's opinion.

FAQ: Pushing more weight than you, does muscle matter?

1. How does muscle size affect strength?

Muscle size is directly correlated with strength. The larger the muscle, the more force it can produce, resulting in an increase in strength. This is because bigger muscles have a larger number of muscle fibers, allowing for more force generation.

2. Can someone with smaller muscles be stronger than someone with bigger muscles?

Yes, it is possible for someone with smaller muscles to be stronger than someone with bigger muscles. This can be due to factors such as muscle fiber type, training techniques, and genetics. Someone with a higher percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers may have more explosive strength, even with smaller muscles.

3. Is lifting heavier weights the only way to build muscle?

No, lifting heavier weights is not the only way to build muscle. While lifting heavier weights can lead to muscle growth, it is not the only factor. Other factors such as proper nutrition, rest, and progressive overload are also important in building muscle.

4. How long does it take to build noticeable muscle mass?

The amount of time it takes to build noticeable muscle mass varies for each individual. Factors such as genetics, training intensity, and nutrition can affect the rate of muscle growth. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to notice visible changes in muscle size.

5. Is muscle mass important for overall health and fitness?

Yes, muscle mass is important for overall health and fitness. Having a higher muscle mass can improve strength, metabolism, and bone density. It also plays a role in preventing age-related muscle loss and maintaining a healthy body composition.