PV Basics: Learn V(open circuit), Ishort, Fill Factor

• Thread starter tornado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Source
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is interested in learning about photovoltaics and its parameters such as V(open circuit), Ishort, and fill factor, as well as understanding the graph of intensity to Voc and Ishort. They are asking for a source to start learning about this topic, and a good suggestion is to search for photovoltaic panel datasheets and study them, as well as referencing the article and its references on maximum power point tracking.
tornado
Dear Forum Members,,

I would like to learn photovoltaics. There are some parameters like V(open circuit), Ishort, fill factor etc. And also i would like to learn the graph of intensity to Voc and Ishort. Could you suggest me to which source i need to look?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good place to start is using search terms photovoltaic panel datasheet. Spend some time studying a few datasheets, then search as needed to understand the terms.

tornado said:
I would like to learn photovoltaics. There are some parameters like V(open circuit), Ishort, fill factor etc. And also i would like to learn the graph of intensity to Voc and Ishort. Could you suggest me to which source i need to look?
This article and its references may be a good place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_point_tracking

:smile:

Related to PV Basics: Learn V(open circuit), Ishort, Fill Factor

1. What is PV and how does it work?

PV, or photovoltaic, is a technology that converts sunlight into electricity. It works by using solar cells, which are made of semiconductor materials, to absorb photons from sunlight and release electrons. These electrons flow through a circuit, creating an electrical current.

2. What is open circuit voltage (Vopen)?

Open circuit voltage, also known as Voc, is the maximum voltage that a PV cell or module can produce when there is no load connected to it. This voltage is determined by the materials and design of the PV cell, as well as the intensity of sunlight.

3. What is short circuit current (Ishort)?

Short circuit current, also known as Isc, is the maximum current that a PV cell or module can produce when its terminals are short circuited. This current is determined by the materials and design of the PV cell, as well as the intensity of sunlight.

4. What is fill factor (FF)?

Fill factor is a measure of how efficiently a PV cell or module converts sunlight into electricity. It is the ratio of the maximum power output of the cell or module to the product of the open circuit voltage and short circuit current. A higher fill factor indicates a more efficient PV cell or module.

5. How can I calculate the fill factor of a PV cell or module?

The fill factor can be calculated by dividing the maximum power output of the cell or module by the product of the open circuit voltage and short circuit current. This value is typically expressed as a percentage and can be used to compare the efficiency of different PV cells or modules.

Back