PV cell charge separation by an external electric field

askingask
I have read myself through a lot of information on photovoltaics. Yet I still don't understand how it really works. From what I think I understand, the charge separation in PN junctions happens due to an electric potential build up in the depletion zone. Now according to a wikipage on organic solar cells, single layer organic PVs seperate charges because of the electric potential build up between the two metal electrodes of the cell. Apparently the different work functions of these metals are responsible for this?

Now to my primary concern. The same wikipage on organic PVs also described Bilayer cells, etc. And one of the reasons Bilayer cells are more efficient according to this page, is because of the interface between an electron donor and acceptor, which is also different to a PN junction, what ever that is supposed to mean. Anyway this interface exhibits a stronger electric field. Which makes it more efficient then a single layer organic PV.

Now here comes an idea, what if instead of making the composition of the cell create this electric potential, we put a simple semiconductor cell of some sort (like I said I just have very little understanding on this) between two capacitor disks charged at some high voltage like 1000 volts or something. Could this be useful in separating the charges created by the excitation of an electron entering the conduction band? I‘d be happy if you can help me out and correct me here.