Python Programming Basics: IDLE vs Command Line

• Python
  • Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, IDLE is a Python development environment, which INCLUDES a command line (that's the window with the 3 arrows >>> that you can type Python commands into), as well as other utilities like a debugger and a text editor. The other kind of command line your book might refer to, the operating system's shell, which uses some other language like Bash (not Python), and can be used for things like running programs and moving files around.If you are learning from a book and are on windows, then likely what they mean by a command line is the prompt you get if you go Start|Run, type in cmd and click ok. This would then give you a black command line that you can run programs from (including navigating to
DrummingAtom
I just started learning programming and am a little confused about the difference between IDLE and the "Commands Line." What's the difference?

Technology news on Phys.org
IDLE is a Python development environment, which INCLUDES a command line (that's the window with the 3 arrows >>> that you can type Python commands into), as well as other utilities like a debugger and a text editor. There is another kind of command line your book might refer to, the operating system's shell, which uses some other language like Bash (not Python), and can be used for things like running programs and moving files around.

If you are learning from a book and are on windows, then likely what they mean by a command line is the prompt you get if you go Start|Run, type in cmd and click ok. This would then give you a black command line that you can run programs from (including navigating to your python script directory and running scripts using python <script>). This gives you complete access to OS commands but no access to python code without running a python script or just running python to start an interactive session.

IDLE on the other hand has as part of it and interactive python interpreter. This let's you type in lines of python code and it will execute them immediately (or in the case of functions and classes, they will be defined as soon as you have finished the block of indented code). This gives you complete access to the python library but no access to the OS commands without using a system call of some description.

Thanks for the answers. Another question is should I be learning Python in Windows or Linux/Unix? The tutorial I'm using explains both operating systems. Am I wasting my time learning the Windows side?

DrummingAtom said:
Thanks for the answers. Another question is should I be learning Python in Windows or Linux/Unix? The tutorial I'm using explains both operating systems. Am I wasting my time learning the Windows side?

Other than maybe some of the software you use to develop it, Python should be the same on all operating systems as far as I know. Do it on whatever platform you feel most comfortable on to start with and everything you learn will be someday applicable to other operating systems as well.

Did you read ESR's how to be a hacker? Well he states that learning to hack under a closed source os is like learning to dans in a body cast. That is quit true in a way because you need to read some source to learn good programming skills but I started in windows and it was'nt to bad but I am now more pleased with my penguin ;-)

How to be a hacker http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
and ESR's home http://catb.org/~esr/
Here youl find some good stuff to put you on the right track.

Good luck!

Related to Python Programming Basics: IDLE vs Command Line

1. What is the difference between IDLE and Command Line in Python programming?

IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is a graphical user interface that allows users to write, run, and debug Python programs. It also provides helpful features such as code completion and syntax highlighting. On the other hand, Command Line (also known as Terminal or Shell) is a text-based interface that allows users to interact with the computer's operating system by typing commands. In Python programming, Command Line can be used to run Python scripts and access the Python interpreter.

2. Which one is better to use for beginners, IDLE or Command Line?

For beginners, IDLE is generally a better option as it provides a more user-friendly and interactive experience. It also has helpful features that can assist beginners in learning the basics of Python programming. However, as users become more familiar with Python, they may find the Command Line more efficient and versatile.

3. Can I use both IDLE and Command Line interchangeably?

Yes, you can use both IDLE and Command Line interchangeably. They both have the same functionality in terms of running Python code. However, the user interface and features may differ, so it is a matter of personal preference which one to use.

4. Do I need to install anything to use IDLE or Command Line for Python programming?

No, both IDLE and Command Line are included in the standard installation of Python. So, once you have installed Python on your computer, you can use either of them for programming.

5. Is it possible to switch between IDLE and Command Line while working on a Python program?

Yes, it is possible to switch between IDLE and Command Line while working on a Python program. For example, you may use IDLE to write and test your code, and then use Command Line to run the code on a larger dataset or for automation purposes. However, keep in mind that any variables or functions defined in one environment may not be accessible in the other.