Python useful for engineer student?

In summary: I find Python easier to use for some tasks and Matlab for others. But at the end of the day, they both do the same thing.In summary, Python is used in engineering, and it is easier to use than Matlab.
462chevelle
Gold Member
I'm taking linear algebra through edx just to get my eyes on the subject. Some of the work in the class requires you to to vector operations on Python. Is it going to be useful for me to learn this stuff for engineering? Or should i just focus on the linear algebra.
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm no engineer, nor am I studying to become one. That said, python is used in engineering. What's your major?

If you want/need to do vector operations in python, then you need to learn both vector operations (Algebra) and python.

Lately I've been juggling Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace engineering. Due to my work experience Mechanical or Electrical are more likely though. I'm learning the Algebra to go along with the programming. The programming is going even slower to me than the Algebra though. A couple Engineering students I talked to told me that I needed to learn Matlab over any other kind of computer programs. I wouldn't think Python would hurt, I just wanted to make sure it would be beneficial to study that in my free time, or if I should be hitting Calculus pretty hard. Since I'm taking Calculus 1 next semester and won't be taking Linear Algebra for at least a year and a half. Besides, to me Linear Algebra is quite a bit more difficult than Calculus 1. Everything is taught in general variable form, instead of examples.

Python is good for processing data/text files vs, say Fortran, which is good for computations. If you go into research, Python is a good tool to have available.

I'm an electrical engineer. We use Python all the time. It is becoming the de-facto language to control lab equipment and some people are using it to replace Perl and TCL is processing and formatting large data sets. Its use is growing from what I see.

Thanks, I think I'll just spend more time doing programming then the heavy Linear Algebra computations. I can get heavy into Linear Algebra at a later point. Programming for me is rather difficult, the only programming I have done is with C++, and I wouldn't call it programming. All I have done is modify a program someone else designed.

Some engineers frequently program, others never do so, but learning a programming language is never not going to be useful.

Im an electrical engineer. I use python to automate processes on my computer

A lot of universities have been switching from Matlab to Python given that Python has the libraries to do everything Matlab can and it is free. Additionally, physics departments seem to be more into Python then Engineering. My school however has switched from having more Matlab courses to more Python in the engineering department. They are slowly weening students from Matlab to Python. I myself use both Python and Matlab.

FAQ: Python useful for engineer student?

1. What is Python and why is it useful for engineer students?

Python is a high-level programming language that is widely used in various scientific and engineering fields. It is useful for engineer students because it has a simple and easy-to-learn syntax, a large and active community, and a wide range of libraries and tools that are specifically designed for scientific and engineering applications.

2. Can Python be used for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, Python has powerful libraries such as NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib that are specifically designed for data analysis and visualization. These libraries allow engineer students to efficiently handle and analyze large datasets and create visually appealing graphs and plots.

3. How can Python be used for simulations and modeling?

Python has a wide range of libraries and tools that are specifically designed for simulations and modeling, such as SciPy, SymPy, and PyDy. These libraries allow engineer students to create and run simulations and models for various engineering applications, including mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electrical systems.

4. Is Python suitable for creating engineering applications and tools?

Yes, Python can be used to create engineering applications and tools. It has a large and active community that constantly develops and updates libraries and tools for various engineering fields. Additionally, Python has a user-friendly interface and is easily integrated with other programming languages, making it a versatile language for creating engineering applications and tools.

5. Can Python be used for machine learning and artificial intelligence in engineering?

Yes, Python has become one of the most popular languages for machine learning and artificial intelligence. It has libraries such as TensorFlow, Keras, and PyTorch that are specifically designed for these applications. Engineer students can use Python to develop intelligent systems and algorithms for various engineering tasks, such as predictive maintenance and anomaly detection.