Q: Generating Electricity with Charged Objects

In summary, if two objects with opposite charges are connected by wires to a light bulb, there will be an electrical current that can light the bulb. However, the current will eventually stop as both objects lose their charge. This is similar to how a battery works, where the current eventually stops as the battery runs out of charge. To calculate the amount of energy generated in this setup, an equation involving the amount of charge and voltage difference can be used.
Aliam1
Hi guys i have a question i want an answer to let say i have an object that is negatively charged and another object positively charge and i connected them with a wires to a light bulb will they generate electricity and the object never lose their charge let's they they have unlimited charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
The stored Electrical Energy will soon be dissipated in the light bulb. To keep the bulb alight, it is necessary to produce a continuous flow of charge from a Power Source.

Aliam1 said:
Hi guys i have a question i want an answer to let say i have an object that is negatively charged and another object positively charge and i connected them with a wires to a light bulb will they generate electricity and the object never lose their charge let's they they have unlimited charges.
Yes there will be an electrical current between the two objects, and if the conditions are right that current will be able to light the bulb.

However, the the current is the charge from one object to the other, which reduces the charge at both objects (it doesn't matter whether you think in terms of positive charge moving to the negative charged object or negative charge moving to the positive charged object - either way the charge at both objects is reduced). Thus we must run out of charge and the current stops. Ther's no such thing as unlimited charge; it has to come from somewhere.

A example of your setup would be an ordinary battery: the positive terminal is one object and the negative terminal is the other. There will be a current between them, but eventually the battery will be discharged and the current will stop.

Thanks guys i got what i needed. I was confused by ac, dc and different electrical generators.

I would also like to know if there are equation to calculate how much energy is generated if both object have a charge vaule of 1000 i guess feel free to correct me if iam wrong.

Aliam1 said:
Thanks guys i got what i needed. I was confused by ac, dc and different electrical generators.

I would also like to know if there are equation to calculate how much energy is generated if both object have a charge vaule of 1000 i guess feel free to correct me if iam wrong.
There is indeed such an equation (actually several of them, as the problem will be different depending on several things that you haven't specified) , but you'll need to know both the amount of charge, usually measured in Coulombs, and the voltage difference, usually measured in volts. Googling for "resistor power current" and "capacitor discharge" will get you started... but it might be best to see if you can find an intro physics textbook that covers this material.

Aliam1 said:
##E=\frac{C\cdot U^2}{2}##

Aliam1 said:

That is essentially what you do when you hook a light bulb up to a battery, except the bulb will eventually stop glowing because the battery doesn't deliver an unlimited amount of charge. It eventually dies and has to be either replaced or recharged.

FAQ: Q: Generating Electricity with Charged Objects

1. How does generating electricity with charged objects work?

Generating electricity with charged objects involves creating an electric current by moving charged particles, such as electrons, through a conductive material. This can be achieved by rubbing two materials together to generate static electricity, or by using a generator to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. What are some examples of charged objects used for generating electricity?

Common examples of charged objects used for generating electricity include batteries, solar panels, wind turbines, and hydroelectric dams. These objects utilize different methods to produce an electric current, such as chemical reactions, solar radiation, wind power, and water flow.

3. Can electricity be generated with any type of charged object?

Yes, electricity can be generated with a variety of charged objects, as long as they are able to produce or manipulate charged particles. However, not all charged objects are efficient or practical for generating electricity. The type of charged object used will depend on the specific needs and resources of a given situation.

4. What are the advantages of using charged objects for generating electricity?

One advantage of using charged objects for generating electricity is that they can provide a renewable source of energy. This means that they can be replenished or harnessed indefinitely without depleting natural resources. Additionally, many charged objects are relatively inexpensive and can be easily installed and maintained.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using charged objects for generating electricity?

While there are many benefits to using charged objects for generating electricity, there are also potential risks and drawbacks. For example, some methods of generating electricity with charged objects, such as burning fossil fuels, can contribute to air and water pollution. Additionally, the production and disposal of certain charged objects, such as batteries, can have negative environmental impacts. It is important to carefully consider and mitigate these risks when utilizing charged objects for electricity generation.