Q.M. harmonic oscillator spring constant goes to zero at t=0

In summary: Once the particle is free, it evolves according to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation with no potential. This means that the wavefunction will spread out and the probability of finding the particle at any given position will decrease over time. This is different from the behavior of a harmonic oscillator, where the wavefunction oscillates between different positions with a constant amplitude. In summary, the potential of the harmonic oscillator "prepares" the wavefunction at t = 0, but once the particle is free, it evolves according to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation with no potential.
FarticleFysics

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional harmonic oscillator is in the ground state. At t=0, the spring is cut. Find the wave-function with respect to space and time (ψ(x,t)).

Note: At t=0 the spring constant (k) is reduced to zero.

So, my question is mostly conceptual. Since the spring constant goes to zero at t=0 is it safe to assume that the problem can now be considered as a free particle problem since the potential goes to zero when 'k' goes to zero?

If this assumption is correct I should be able to solve the time independent Schrodinger equation, ψ(x,0), then multiply in the time part and solve for the constant.

I do not see how being a harmonic oscillator will affect my answer since once you cut the spring it is no longer a harmonic oscillator.

Is there something I am missing conceptually?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello FarticleFysics and welcome to Physics Forums!

FarticleFysics said:
So, my question is mostly conceptual. Since the spring constant goes to zero at t=0 is it safe to assume that the problem can now be considered as a free particle problem since the potential goes to zero when 'k' goes to zero?]

Yes, the particle instantaneously becomes free at t = 0. But the wavefunction does not undergo any instantaneous change at t = 0.

##\psi(x, 0^+)## = ##\psi(x, 0^-)##

If this assumption is correct I should be able to solve the time independent Schrodinger equation, ψ(x,0), then multiply in the time part and solve for the constant.

The wavefunction at time t = 0 will not be a solution of the time independent Schrodinger equation for a free particle. But the wavefunction at t = 0 may be expanded as a superposition of solutions of the time independent, free-particle Schrodinger equation. You can then put in a time dependent factor for each member of the superposition.

I do not see how being a harmonic oscillator will affect my answer since once you cut the spring it is no longer a harmonic oscillator.
The harmonic oscillator potential can be thought of as "preparing" the quantum state of the particle at time t = 0.

Last edited:

FAQ: Q.M. harmonic oscillator spring constant goes to zero at t=0

What is a Q.M. harmonic oscillator?

A Q.M. (quantum mechanics) harmonic oscillator is a theoretical system that describes the motion of a particle in a potential energy well, represented as a spring. It follows the principles of quantum mechanics, which takes into account the wave-like nature of particles.

What does it mean for the spring constant to go to zero at t=0?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. When it goes to zero at t=0, it means that the spring is suddenly removed or becomes infinitely soft, causing the oscillations to stop abruptly.

Why is the spring constant important in a Q.M. harmonic oscillator?

The spring constant determines the frequency of the oscillations and the energy levels of the system. As it approaches zero, the energy levels become more closely spaced, leading to a phenomenon known as "quantum chaos."

What happens to the particle in the Q.M. harmonic oscillator when the spring constant goes to zero?

When the spring constant goes to zero, the particle's wave function spreads out and becomes delocalized, meaning it can be found in multiple positions at the same time. This is due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

Is the behavior of a Q.M. harmonic oscillator with a zero spring constant physically possible?

No, it is a theoretical concept that cannot be observed in the physical world. In reality, there is always some amount of stiffness in a spring, even if it is very small. The concept of a zero spring constant is used to study the behavior of quantum systems and does not have a physical manifestation.

Back