Q: oscillating cantilever

In summary, the conversation discusses the resonant oscillation of a vertical cantilever immersed in a viscous fluid and the use of Roark's tables to determine the oscillation frequency. The speaker is unsure about the inclusion of 'g' in the equation and questions its relevance in a neutrally buoyant fluid. The conversation also mentions the lack of derivation information in Roark's book and the need to do a vibration analysis using first principles.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm having a tough time with a simple problem- the resonant oscillation of a vertical cantilever immersed in a viscous fluid. I have, from Roark's tables, the oscillation frequency for a cantilever with both a concentrated tip load and distributed load:

ω=1.732√[(EI*g)/(WL3+0.236(wL4)]

But I don't understand why (other than dimensional arguments) why there is 'g' in the numerator. For example, why is 'g' still relevant for a vertical cantilever immersed in a neutrally-bouyant viscous fluid (should g -> Δρ g?). The AFM literature (that I've found) for immersed tips isn't particularly informative.

Roark's book doesn't provide any derivation information... any hints/tips/references are gratefully appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
I'm having a tough time with a simple problem- the resonant oscillation of a vertical cantilever immersed in a viscous fluid. I have, from Roark's tables, the oscillation frequency for a cantilever with both a concentrated tip load and distributed load:

ω=1.732√[(EI*g)/(WL3+0.236(wL4)]

But I don't understand why (other than dimensional arguments) why there is 'g' in the numerator. For example, why is 'g' still relevant for a vertical cantilever immersed in a neutrally-bouyant viscous fluid (should g -> Δρ g?). The AFM literature (that I've found) for immersed tips isn't particularly informative.

Roark's book doesn't provide any derivation information... any hints/tips/references are gratefully appreciated.

Even though the beam may be neutrally buoyant when immersed, that doesn't mean that gravity has been 'shut off'; it just means that the gravitational force acting on a beam element or whatever has an additional counteracting force which develops due to the displacement of the fluid in which the beam is immersed.

If you don't trust the tables, and I'm not saying you should if the conditions of your problem don't match the conditions for which the table was developed, then you'll have to do a vibration analysis from scratch using first principles.

For any single degree of freedom system, the square of the natural frequency is
w^2 = k/m
Looking at the equation you gave, there are weights in the denominator, not the required mass value. The g in the numerator converts the weight to the required mass value.

Related to Q: oscillating cantilever

1. What is an oscillating cantilever?

An oscillating cantilever is a structure that is anchored at one end and free to move at the other end. It is designed to vibrate or oscillate in a controlled manner.

2. What are the applications of an oscillating cantilever?

Oscillating cantilevers have a wide range of applications, including in sensors for measuring tiny forces or displacements, in atomic force microscopy for imaging surfaces at a nanoscale level, and in musical instruments such as pianos and guitars.

3. How does an oscillating cantilever work?

An oscillating cantilever works by converting energy from an external source, such as an electric current or sound waves, into mechanical motion. The movement of the cantilever can then be measured and used for various purposes.

4. What are the factors that affect the oscillation of a cantilever?

The oscillation of a cantilever can be affected by several factors, including the material and dimensions of the cantilever, the frequency and amplitude of the external source, and any additional mass or forces applied to the cantilever.

5. How is an oscillating cantilever used in research?

Oscillating cantilevers are commonly used in research for studying the properties of materials at a small scale. They can also be used in biomedical research for studying the mechanics of cells and tissues, and in chemical research for analyzing the surface properties of molecules.