Q2:2 Where E Is Bounded By The Parabolic Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the triple integral $\iiint\limits_{E} x^2 e^y dV$, where $E$ is bounded by the parabolic cylinder $z=1-y^2$ and the planes $z=0, x=1,$ and $x=-1$. The conversation also explores the order of integration that makes sense for this volume and suggests using $\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1 - y^2}\int_{-1}^{1}\int_{x_l}^{x_u} x^2 e^y \,dx \,dy \,dz$. However, it
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\text{Evaluate } $
\begin{align*}
I&=\iiint\limits_{E} x^2 e^y dV
\end{align*}
$\text{where E is bounded by the parabolic cylinder} $
\begin{align*} z&=1 - y^2 \end{align*}
$\text{and the planes
$z=0, x=1,$ and $x=-1$}\\$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's first look at the volume in question:

View attachment 7329

What order of integration makes sense to you?

Attachments

• karush_Q2-2.png
    karush_Q2-2.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 75
MarkFL said:

Sorta maybe??$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1 - y^2

}\int_{-1}^{1}\int_{x_l}^{x_u} x^2 e^y \,dx \,dy \,dz$

karush said:

What happens when you try iterating in that order, and I assume you mean:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{1-y^2}\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1 x^2e^y\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

karush said:

Your "inside integral", with respect to z, has limits that are functions of y. So the integral will be a function of y not a number.

Also "the parabolic cylinder [tex]z= 1- y^2[/tex]" does not bound a finite region. Did you mean "in the first octant"?

HallsofIvy said:
Your "inside integral", with respect to z, has limits that are functions of y. So the integral will be a function of y not a number.

Also "the parabolic cylinder [tex]z= 1- y^2[/tex]" does not bound a finite region. Did you mean "in the first octant"?

how can the "inside integral" be in respect to z?

karush said:
how can the "inside integral" be in respect to z?
Yes, that should have been "outside". Thanks for pointing that out.

MarkFL said:
What happens when you try iterating in that order, and I assume you mean:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{1-y^2}\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1 x^2e^y\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

I was hoping you would discover on your own that with the integral written this way you would obtain a function of $y$, rather than a numeric result. Anyway, I would recommend:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-1}^1\int_{-1}^1\int_{0}^{1-y^2}x^2e^y\,dz\,dx\,dy\)

It really makes little difference as long as $z$ is not the outermost variable. Can you see any symmetries you can use to simplify the integral? This question is directed to the OP only...;)

This is a follow-up question related to this problem...

If done correctly, you are going to find a formula for the following useful:

\(\displaystyle I_n(1)-I_n(-1)=\int_{-1}^{1} x^ne^x\,dx\) where $n\in\mathbb{N_0}$

To begin, see if you can verify:

\(\displaystyle I_n(x)=\int x^ne^x\,dx=n!e^x\sum_{k=0}^n\left(\frac{(-1)^k}{(n-k)!}x^{n-k}\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle I_n(1)-I_n(-1)=\int_{-1}^{1} x^ne^x\,dx=\frac{n!}{e}\sum_{k=0}^n\left(\frac{(-1)^ke^2+(-1)^{n+1}}{(n-k)!}\right)\)

MarkFL said:

What graphing program did you use?

Related to Q2:2 Where E Is Bounded By The Parabolic Cylinder

What is Q2:2 Where E Is Bounded By The Parabolic Cylinder?

Q2:2 refers to a specific question or problem in the field of mathematics or physics. In this case, it is asking about a situation where E (electric field) is bounded by a parabolic cylinder. This may be a problem in electrostatics or electromagnetism.

What is a parabolic cylinder?

A parabolic cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a curved, elongated bowl. It is formed by taking a parabola and extending it along one axis, creating a curved surface.

How is E (electric field) bounded by a parabolic cylinder?

In this scenario, the electric field E is confined within the boundaries of the parabolic cylinder. This means that the electric field lines, which represent the direction of the electric field, will follow the shape of the parabolic cylinder and not extend beyond its edges.

What factors influence the electric field within the parabolic cylinder?

The strength and direction of the electric field within the parabolic cylinder can be influenced by various factors, such as the magnitude and distribution of electric charges, the material properties of the cylinder, and the distance from the source of the electric field.

What are the practical applications of studying Q2:2 Where E Is Bounded By The Parabolic Cylinder?

Studying this problem can have practical applications in various fields, such as designing electrical systems, understanding the behavior of charged particles in a specific environment, and developing new technologies that utilize electric fields. It can also provide insights into the fundamental principles of electricity and electromagnetism.