QFT Charges & Gauge Group Root Lattices Explained

• Thread starter wilcherrera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the charges in a gauge theory are the q.m. generators of the gauge group, which can be derived from the Noether theorem. These charges generate the same algebra as the q.m. states and can be classified according to the su(N) algebra. In an unbroken SU(N) gauge theory, all physical states are SU(N) singulets. However, the statement that charges in a gauge theory belong to the root system of the gauge group is not derived from purely algebraic reasoning and may require additional dynamical considerations. The root system of a Lie algebra is a mathematical concept that can be researched for further understanding.
wilcherrera
Hi...I do not understand why the charges of a QFT belong to the root lattice of the gauge group...can somebody explain it please??

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean.

The charges are the q.m. generators of the gauge group. Look at a simple example, the n-dim. harmonic oscillator with

[tex]a_i;\;i=1\ldotsN[/tex]

[tex][T^a, T^b] = if^{abc}T^c[/tex]

If you define the charges (in an SU(N) gauge theory you can derive them from the Noether theorem instead of introducing them by hand)

[tex]Q^a = a^\dagger_i (T^a)_{ik} a_k[/tex]

you can check easily that they generate the same algebra.

[tex][Q^a, Q^b] = if^{abc}Q^c[/tex]

Therefore you can classify all states according to the su(N) algebra and all equations that are valid on the algebraic level carry over to the q.m. states.

Quantum gauge theory gives you additional equations, e.g. the requirements that in an unbroken SU(N) gauge theory all physical states are SU(N) singulets, but these constraints are due to additional dynamical considerations and cannot be derived frome purely algebraic reasoning.

Hi...thanks for your answer. Well, i have read several times that charges in a gauge theory lie in the root system of the gauge group. For a quick check of the above statement, you can google> "charge wikipedia" and you will find such a claim. Of course, I'm referring to the wiki just because it is easy to check, but this statement is done in several places elsewhere.

Do you know what a root system of a Lie algebra is?

Related to QFT Charges & Gauge Group Root Lattices Explained

What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to study the behavior of particles and fields at a quantum level. It combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the interactions between particles.

What are charges in QFT?

In QFT, charges refer to properties of particles that are conserved (i.e. they do not change) during interactions. These charges can be related to fundamental forces, such as electric charge, color charge, and flavor charge.

What is a gauge group in QFT?

A gauge group is a mathematical concept used in QFT to describe the symmetries of a physical system. It represents the possible transformations that a system can undergo without changing its underlying physics.

What are root lattices in QFT?

Root lattices are mathematical structures used to describe and classify the symmetries of physical systems in QFT. They consist of a set of vectors that form a lattice (a grid-like structure) in a higher-dimensional space.

How are charges and gauge groups related to root lattices in QFT?

In QFT, the charges of particles are related to the symmetries of the system, which are described by the gauge group. The root lattice is then used to categorize the possible symmetries and their corresponding charges, providing a comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of particles in QFT.

Back