QFT, more a QM Question, Hamiltonian relation time evolution

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum field theory course question that is based on QM knowledge. The relevant equation to use is given as ##\hat{H}\Lambda = i\frac{h}{2\pi}\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}## and the attempt at a solution involves using the Schrodinger equation to get ##i\frac{h}{2\pi} \frac{\partial(\hat{H}\hat{a(k)})}{\partial t} = \hat{a(k)} (\hat{H}-\omega_k)##. The conversation then discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using the series expansion of the exponent and applying the commutator relation given. There is also
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached here:

time^n.png

I am just stuck on the first bit. I have done the second bit and that is fine. This is a quantum field theory course question but from what I can see this is a question solely based on QM knowledge, which I've probably forgot some of.

Homework Equations

I believe the only relevant equation to use is:

##\hat{H}\Lambda = i\frac{h}{2\pi}\frac{\partial H}{\partial t} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I thought I should log the expression to get, obviously I need to be careful to keep order:

##\hat{H}\hat{a(k)} = \hat{a(k)} (\hat{H}-\omega_k) ##

I'm a bit thrown of by the fact that the Schrodinger equation acts on a state, the ladder operator itself isn't a state until acting upon a vacuum,, so perhaps if I included this it would make the algebra a bit easier as a 'test state' sort of thing with the operators, but I have omitted it for now).

I then conclude for the left hand side from the Schrodinger equation I get:

## i\frac{h}{2\pi} \frac{\partial(\hat{H}\hat{a(k)}}{\partial t} = \hat{a(k)} (\hat{H}-\omega_k) ##

##\hat{a(k)}## does not depend on time, ##w_k## does, and so I have a first order linear differential equation, and could identify an integrating factor, however I don't think this approach is valid since my integrating involves the exponential of ##\hat{a(k)}## and order matters, also when working backward with the product rule of differentiation there is no order on ##\frac{d}{dt}(uv)=vdu/dt+udv/dt ## and so if i turn u or v to operators, i don't think this integrating factor method will work?

I'm unsure what to do next/ how to approach if I am totally off. Other ideas I had where to
1) drop the 'test state' in the Schrodinger equation and raise the operators to the power of n, but this seems unnecessary when you can just log
2) take the conjugate of the Schrodinger equation, still treating ##\hat{a(k)}## as the 'test state' as said before, in order that I can plug something into the right hand side, once expanded, which ofc has opposite order of the operators to the lhs : ##\hat{a(k)}\hat{H}## instead.

Many thanks

Attachments

• time^n.png
    time^n.png
    12 KB · Views: 861
Physics news on Phys.org
Just write down the series expansion of the exponent and apply the commutator relation given.

Orodruin said:
Just write down the series expansion of the exponent and apply the commutator relation given.
Orodruin said:

I haven't been given an explicit expression for the Hamiltonian in terms of the ladder operators in order to apply the commutator relations between the ladder operators a(k) ?. Of which exponent lhs or rhs or both?

thanks

binbagsss said:
I haven't been given an explicit expression for the Hamiltonian in terms of the ladder operators in order to apply the commutator relations between the ladder operators a(k) ?
You have been given an explicit commutation relation. ##H^n a_k = a_k (H - \omega_k)^n##

binbagsss said:
Of which exponent lhs or rhs or both?
Start with one of them and work your way to the other.

Orodruin said:
You have been given an explicit commutation relation. ##H^n a_k = a_k (H - \omega_k)^n##Start with one of them and work your way to the other.
how is this going to introduce ##t##? its not in the commutator relation

binbagsss said:
we have not been asked to derive this result btw

binbagsss said:
So what?

Orodruin said:
Start with one of them and work your way to the other.

are your responses to show the relation(that we have not been asked to derive), rather than the second stated equality?

binbagsss said:
are your responses to show the relation(that we have not been asked to derive), rather than the second stated equality?
No.

Orodruin said:
No.
Orodruin said:
No.
so why would you randomly iintroduce an ##i## and a ##t##. the exponential relation?

binbagsss said:
so why would you randomly iintroduce an ##i## and a ##t##. the exponential relation?
What do you mean randomly? It is a part of the relation you want to show. The exponential of ##iHt## is the time evolution operator.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean randomly? It is a part of the relation you want to show. The exponential of ##iHt## is the time evolution operator.
omg got it at last, thank you

Related to QFT, more a QM Question, Hamiltonian relation time evolution

1. What is the difference between QFT and QM?

QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is an extension of QM (Quantum Mechanics) that takes into account the principles of special relativity. QM describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, while QFT describes the behavior of fields at the microscopic level. In QFT, particles are viewed as excitations of fields, rather than individual entities.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to time evolution in QFT?

The Hamiltonian in QFT is the generator of time evolution. It determines how the fields and particles in the system will evolve over time. The time evolution of a quantum state is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which is derived from the Hamiltonian.

3. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in QFT?

The Hamiltonian in QFT is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. It is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state and to determine the behavior of particles and fields in a system. The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in QFT and plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

4. How does the Hamiltonian relate to the uncertainty principle in QFT?

The uncertainty principle in QFT states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with arbitrary precision. This is related to the Hamiltonian through the commutation relations between position and momentum operators. The Hamiltonian also plays a role in determining the energy of a system, which is subject to the uncertainty principle.

5. Can the Hamiltonian be used to solve all problems in QFT?

No, the Hamiltonian alone cannot be used to solve all problems in QFT. It is just one component of the mathematical framework used to describe quantum systems. Other operators, such as the creation and annihilation operators, are also necessary for a complete understanding of QFT. Additionally, many problems in QFT are too complex to be solved analytically and require numerical methods for their solution.