QM: Angular Momentum-Wavefunction "psi" & Schrodinger's Eq.

• Thread starter jsc314159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Shankar
In summary, the conversation discusses a particle described by a wavefunction and its properties such as angular momentum content and energy. The solution for energy is found by plugging in the given wavefunction into Schrodinger's equation and considering the potential to be zero at infinity. It is important to carefully read the question and pay attention to details in order to effectively solve problems.
jsc314159

Homework Statement

Particle described by wavefunction psi(r,theta,phi) = A*Exp[-r/a0] (a0 = constant)

(1) What is the angular momentum content of the state
(2) Assuming psi is an eigenstate in a potential that vanishes as r -> infinity, find E (match leading terms in Schrodinger's equation)
(3) Having found E, consider finite r and find V(r)

Homework Equations

Schrodinger's equation in spherical coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) The term A, in the wavefunction, is not given to be a function of theta or phi. I am thinking it is a normalization constant. Therefore, apparently there is no theta or phi dependence, l = 0. Does this seem reasonable.

(2) If l = 0, then Schrodinger's equation becomes:

(-h_bar^2/(2*mu) *(1/r^2 * partial/partial_r * r^2 partial/partial_r) + V(r))psi = E*psi

Let V(r) = 0 and plug in the given psi.

The answer if get is E = -h_bar^2/(2*mu*ao^2*r^2) * (r^2 - 2*r*a0).
The book's answer is E = -h_bar^2/(2*mu*ao^2)

The additional terms in my solution come from carring out the differentiation operations on psi. The (1/r^2 * partial/partial_r * r^2 partial/partial_r) on psi gets me 1/r^2)* (r^2 - 2*r*a0). Somehow the book solution eliminates the 2*r*ao term but I do not see how.

If I can figure out where I am going off track on part 2, I think I can manage part 3. Can you help?

jsc

Physics news on Phys.org
jsc314159 said:

Homework Statement

Particle described by wavefunction psi(r,theta,phi) = A*Exp[-r/a0] (a0 = constant)

(1) What is the angular momentum content of the state
(2) Assuming psi is an eigenstate in a potential that vanishes as r -> infinity, find E (match leading terms in Schrodinger's equation)
(3) Having found E, consider finite r and find V(r)

Homework Equations

Schrodinger's equation in spherical coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) The term A, in the wavefunction, is not given to be a function of theta or phi. I am thinking it is a normalization constant. Therefore, apparently there is no theta or phi dependence, l = 0. Does this seem reasonable.

(2) If l = 0, then Schrodinger's equation becomes:

(-h_bar^2/(2*mu) *(1/r^2 * partial/partial_r * r^2 partial/partial_r) + V(r))psi = E*psi

Let V(r) = 0 and plug in the given psi.

The answer if get is E = -h_bar^2/(2*mu*ao^2*r^2) * (r^2 - 2*r*a0).
The book's answer is E = -h_bar^2/(2*mu*ao^2)

The additional terms in my solution come from carring out the differentiation operations on psi. The (1/r^2 * partial/partial_r * r^2 partial/partial_r) on psi gets me 1/r^2)* (r^2 - 2*r*a0). Somehow the book solution eliminates the 2*r*ao term but I do not see how.

If I can figure out where I am going off track on part 2, I think I can manage part 3. Can you help?

jsc

The potential is NOT zero. they just say that it goes to zero as r goes to infinity. So your solution is only valid when r goes to infinity. Take this limit in your answer and you will agree with the book.

kdv,

Thanks, that is the solution.

How can I learn to see these types of things more effectively?

jsc

jsc314159 said:
kdv,

Thanks, that is the solution.

How can I learn to see these types of things more effectively?

jsc

In this case, you simply had to read very carefully the question. That was the key: that they say thatV goes to zero at infinity.

I will keep that in mind.

Thanks again.

Related to QM: Angular Momentum-Wavefunction "psi" & Schrodinger's Eq.

1. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum in quantum mechanics is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle. It is a vector quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the particle's angular momentum. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

2. What is the wavefunction "psi" in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction "psi" is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a quantum system. It contains all the information about the system, including its position, momentum, and energy. The square of the wavefunction gives the probability of finding the system in a particular state.

3. How is angular momentum related to the wavefunction "psi"?

In quantum mechanics, the angular momentum operator is represented by the symbol "L". When acting on the wavefunction "psi", it yields the total angular momentum of the system. The eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator correspond to the possible values of angular momentum that the system can have.

4. What is the significance of Schrodinger's equation in quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's equation is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It describes how the wavefunction of a quantum system evolves over time. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time and is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is conserved, meaning that it remains constant over time. This conservation is a consequence of the symmetries of the system. As long as there are no external forces acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.