QM Harm. Osc. expectation values

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the 1-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator and using ladder operators to obtain matrix elements for certain values of m. The individual is unsure about their answer and seeks clarification. The expert confirms their approach is correct but points out a small mistake in their final answer. They also reassure the individual that negative values for expectation values are not uncommon in quantum mechanics.
Tom Pietress
QM Harmonic Oscillator, expectation values

Hello. I am working on a problem involving the 1-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator with energy eigenstates |n>. The idea of the exercise is to use ladder operators to obtain the results. I feel I am getting a reasonably good hang of this, but my answer to one of the parts isn't comforting me. It goes like this:

Obtain the matrix elements [itex]\left\langle m\right|\hat{P}^{2}\left|0\right\rangle [/itex] for all m[tex]\geq[/tex]1

The reason I'm unsure is that this gives me a negative answer - I might be wrong here but that doesn't seem right to me. What I've done (note: I see now that I use m both for mass and the matrix element index; but I believe they are easy to distinguish):

[tex]\left\langle m\right|\hat{P}^{2}\left|0\right\rangle
=\left(i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\right)^{2}\left\langle
m\right|(\hat{a}^{\text{+}}-\hat{a})^{2}\left|0\right\rangle
=-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left\langle
m\right|\left({\hat{a}}^{\text{+}}\right)^{2}-{\hat{a}}^{\text{+}}\hat{a}-\hat{a}{\hat{a}}^{\text{+}}+{\hat{a}}^{2}\left|0\right\rangle[/tex]

The notation I use is â for the lowering operator and â+ for the raising operator.

My thoughts here are that the second and fourth term vanishes because they will apply the lowering operator on |0>. The first and third remains (although I will later also throw away the third):

[tex]-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left\langle
m\right|\left[\sqrt{2}\left|2\right\rangle -1\left|0\right\rangle
\right]=-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{\sqrt{2}}}\left\langle
m\right|2\left.\right\rangle[/tex]

(Not sure if the kind of bracketing I did there is all right, but I believe it does the job.) The reason why 1|0> vanishes is that m never is 0 and thus <m|0> is always 0. If I have understood correctly, the integral on the right will be 0 for every m other than 2 and 1 for m=2. This I gather from the Kronecker delta. Thus the matrix elements will have the (negative!) value [tex]-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{\sqrt{2}}}\[/tex] when m=2 and 0 for all other m.

I would appreciate any comments on what I've done here, since I'm only beginning to come to terms with Dirac notation and quantum mechanics as a whole.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your time and help!

Hello, thank you for your post. Your approach to the problem is correct, but there is a small mistake in your final answer. The Kronecker delta in the matrix element will only be 1 when m=2, not 1. Therefore, the correct answer should be -{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{\sqrt{2}}}\ when m=2 and 0 for all other m. This means that the matrix element for m=2 is indeed negative, but this is not a cause for concern. In quantum mechanics, negative values for expectation values are not uncommon and do not indicate any issues with the calculation. I hope this helps clarify your answer. Keep up the good work with your understanding of quantum mechanics!

Related to QM Harm. Osc. expectation values

What is QM Harm. Osc. expectation values?

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values are a way of describing the average position and momentum of a quantum harmonic oscillator over time.

How are QM Harm. Osc. expectation values calculated?

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values are calculated using the Schrödinger equation and the corresponding operators for position and momentum.

Why are QM Harm. Osc. expectation values important?

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values provide insight into the behavior and dynamics of quantum harmonic oscillators, which are a fundamental part of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of QM Harm. Osc. expectation values in real-world applications?

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values are used in various fields, such as quantum computing and quantum chemistry, to understand and predict the behavior of systems at the atomic and molecular level.

How do QM Harm. Osc. expectation values differ from classical harmonic oscillator expectations?

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, whereas classical harmonic oscillator expectations assume deterministic behavior.