QM: Harmonic Oscillator wave function

In summary: C2xe-x2/2|2 dxC2∫4x2ex4/4 is this correct, all terms in xso only when an exponential expression is canceled out using pd is when it function is imaginary :ex: e-ix
Stan12

Homework Statement

For the n = 1 harmonic oscillator wave function, find the probability p that, in an experiment which measures position, the particle will be found within a distance d = (mk)-1/4√ħ/2 of the origin. (Hint: Assume that the value of the integral α = ∫01/2 x2e-x2/2 dx is known and express your result as a function of α)

Homework Equations

distance from 0 to d; d = (mk)-1/4√ħ/2

Normalize condition: Cn = 1/ (π2√2nn!)

Harmonic Oscillator wave function for n = 1 ψ1 = C1(2s)e-s2/2

Probability density
∫ψn(x)*ψ(x)

s = (km)1/41/2 x

The Attempt at a Solution

I first plugged in s and normalized condition into the harmonic oscillator wave function.
ψ(s) = (km/π)1/42x/√2ħ e-√(km)x2/2ħ

∫ψ(s)*ψ(s) ?
I'm not sure if this is the right approach to tackling this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stan12 said:
Probability density
∫ψn(x)*ψ(x)

##\psi^*(x)\psi(x)## is the probability density. This means that it is the probability to find the particle in the interval from ##x## to ##x+dx##. Can you think of a way to use this to determine the probability to find the particle in a certain interval?

the intervals would be from ∫-dd. Is there a way to simplify down the
distance given?
d = (mk)-1/4√h-bar/2

s = [(km)1/4/√h-bar] x

d = x/s√2 ; -d = -x/s√2 this doesn't seem right.

the integral, α = ∫-dd x2e-x2/2

Last edited:
Stan12 said:
the intervals would be from ∫-dd. Is there a way to simplify down the
distance given?
d = (mk)-1/4√h-bar/2

s = [(km)1/4/√h-bar] x

d = x/s√2 ; -d = -x/s√2 this doesn't seem right.

the integral, α = ∫-dd x2e-x2/2

I think you're confusing yourself by having too many variables defined. The distance d is given in the units of the x variable, so set the probability up as an integral over x. Then you can make a change of variable to one defined like the s variable. Your limits of integration will become very simple and you should be able to express the result in terms of the ##\alpha## integral.

-ss ψ*(x)ψ(x) dx ?

P = C24s2e-s2/2 + eis2/2

x = [√h-bar/mk1/4] * 1/√2
s = [(km)1/4/√h-bar] x
s = 1/√2
so...
this doesn't seem right, am I suppose to get a function out of probability density?

Last edited:
I am looking for the answer for this one too, I had it on my exam few days ago

Stan12 said:
-ss ψ*(x)ψ(x) dx ?

P = C24s2e-s2/2 + eis2/2

x = [√h-bar/mk1/4] * 1/√2
s = [(km)1/4/√h-bar] x
s = 1/√2
so...
this doesn't seem right, am I suppose to get a function out of probability density?

Why does your first line have s as the limit of integration? Where did P in the 2nd line come from?

As you deduced in an earlier post, the limits of integration are given by d. Then we can use the probability density to determine the desired probability:

$$ P = \int_{-d}^d \psi^*(x) \psi(x) dx.$$

You should rewrite this expression using the normalized ##\psi(x)##. It should be possible to find a change of variable such that

$$ P = A \int_{-1/2}^{1/2} y^2 e^{-y^2} dy,$$

where ##A## is a constant that we can express in terms of ##m,k,\hbar##.

-So we have ψ1 = C1 2se-s2/2
as our wave function of this specific harmonic oscillator n = 1

- Probability density is given as ψ*ψ and within the intervals of -d to d
giving us ∫d-d ψ*(x)ψ(x)dx

ψ*ψ = (C1(2s)es2/2)(C1(2s)e-s2/2) = C2(2s)2

I'm still not getting this problem..and how the probability P is rewritten in the form of
A∫1/2-1/2y2e-y2dy

Last edited:
Stan12 said:
-So we have ψ1 = C1 2se-s2/2
as our wave function of this specific harmonic oscillator n = 1

- Probability density is given as ψ*ψ and within the intervals of -d to d
giving us ∫d-d ψ*(x)ψ(x)dx

ψ*ψ = (C1(2s)es2/2)(C1(2s)e-s2/2) = C2(2s)2

This wavefunction is real. In particular

$$ \left( e^{-s^2/2} \right)^* = e^{-s^2/2} $$

so the exponentials do not cancel out.

I'm still not getting this problem..and how the probability P is rewritten in the form of
A∫1/2-1/2y2e-y2dy

Go back and try this again with the correct value of ##\psi^* \psi##. I meant what I said when I suggested to write out the expression in terms of ##x##. It seems pointless for me to keep offering suggestions when you won't bother following any of them.

ψ(x) = C2xe-x2/2
ψ*ψ = |C2xe-x2/2|2

∫|C2xe-x2/2|2 dx
= C2∫4x2ex4/4 is this correct, all terms in x

so only when an exponential expression is canceled out using pd is when it function is imaginary :ex: e-ix

Now by doing what I did above is the pdf corrected? I squared the function and set it under the integral of x.

Last edited:
No, it's not correct. You have a definition for s in terms of x. You need to use that. You don't simply replace s by x. You're making it way too complicated. This is just basic algebra.

I will try this from scratch

Hopefully it will help to note the following. When you wrote

Stan12 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I first plugged in s and normalized condition into the harmonic oscillator wave function.
ψ(s) = (km/π)1/42x/√2ħ e-√(km)x2/2ħ

back in the OP, you were already confusing the s and x variables. The 1st excited state wavefunction is given in terms of x by (I am assuming that your normalization and the rest of your formula is correct, please check with your text to make sure.)

$$\psi(x) = \left(\frac{km}{\pi}\right)^{1/4} \frac{2x}{\sqrt{2}\hbar} \exp\left[ - \frac{\sqrt{km} x^2 }{2\hbar} \right].$$

This is the expression you want to start with. The change of variable to s is defined to make the argument of the exponential in the probability density come out as ##-s^2##, but you can verify this yourself.

fzero said:
Hopefully it will help to note the following. When you wrote
back in the OP, you were already confusing the s and x variables. The 1st excited state wavefunction is given in terms of x by (I am assuming that your normalization and the rest of your formula is correct, please check with your text to make sure.)

$$\psi(x) = \left(\frac{km}{\pi}\right)^{1/4} \frac{2x}{\sqrt{2}\hbar} \exp\left[ - \frac{\sqrt{km} x^2 }{2\hbar} \right].$$

This is the expression you want to start with. The change of variable to s is defined to make the argument of the exponential in the probability density come out as ##-s^2##, but you can verify this yourself.

Now with this expression ψ(x) I can find the probability density (ψ*(x)ψ(x)) = √(km/π) 2x2/hbar2 exp[-(km)x4/4hbar2

Last edited:

Related to QM: Harmonic Oscillator wave function

1. What is a harmonic oscillator wave function?

A harmonic oscillator wave function is a mathematical representation of the energy states and probability distribution of a quantum mechanical system that exhibits simple harmonic motion. It describes the behavior of a particle that oscillates back and forth with a restoring force proportional to its displacement from a fixed point.

2. How is the harmonic oscillator wave function derived?

The harmonic oscillator wave function is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. For the harmonic oscillator, this equation is solved using the method of separation of variables, resulting in a series of solutions called Hermite polynomials.

3. What are the properties of a harmonic oscillator wave function?

The properties of a harmonic oscillator wave function include being a real-valued function, having a Gaussian-like shape, and being symmetric about the center of the oscillator. It also has discrete energy levels and the probability of finding the particle at a certain position is highest at the center and decreases towards the edges of the oscillator.

4. How does the harmonic oscillator wave function relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The harmonic oscillator wave function is used to calculate the position and momentum uncertainty of a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential. This uncertainty is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The harmonic oscillator wave function illustrates this principle by showing that as the position uncertainty decreases, the momentum uncertainty increases and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of the harmonic oscillator wave function?

The harmonic oscillator wave function has various applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of molecular vibrations, the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice, and the dynamics of simple mechanical systems. It is also used in quantum mechanics simulations and in the development of technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.

Back