Quadratic Equation Roots and Coefficients: Solving for Unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of c in an equation with roots alpha and beta, given that 4alpha-2beta=7. The conversation includes steps to solve the equation and ultimately concludes that c=2.
rtwikia
$\alpha$ and $\beta$ are the roots of the equation $2{x}^{2}-5x+c=0$. If $4\alpha-2\beta=7$, find the value of $c$.

I did the following:

$\alpha+\beta=-\frac{-5}{2}=\frac{5}{2}$
$\alpha\beta=\frac{c}{2}$

$\frac{c}{2}=\frac{7+2\beta}{4}\cdot\frac{-7+4\alpha}{2}$
$$=\frac{7+2\beta}{4}\cdot\frac{-14+8\alpha}{4}$$
$8c=(7+2\beta)(-14+8\alpha)$
$$=(2\beta+7)(8\alpha-14)$$
$$=16\alpha\beta-28\beta+56\alpha-98$$
$4c=8\alpha\beta-14\beta+28\alpha-49$ which re-factorizes into $(4\alpha-7)(2\beta+7)$:confused:

I could not go any further. Can anyone help me?:)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rtwikia said:
$\alpha$ and $\beta$ are the roots of the equation $2{x}^{2}-5x+c=0$. If $4\alpha-2\beta=7$, find the value of $c$.

I did the following:

$\alpha+\beta=-\frac{-5}{2}=\frac{5}{2}$
$\alpha\beta=\frac{c}{2}$

$\frac{c}{2}=\frac{7+2\beta}{4}\cdot\frac{-7+4\alpha}{2}$
$$=\frac{7+2\beta}{4}\cdot\frac{-14+8\alpha}{4}$$
$8c=(7+2\beta)(-14+8\alpha)$
$$=(2\beta+7)(8\alpha-14)$$
$$=16\alpha\beta-28\beta+56\alpha-98$$
$4c=8\alpha\beta-14\beta+28\alpha-49$ which re-factorizes into $(4\alpha-7)(2\beta+7)$:confused:

I could not go any further. Can anyone help me?:)

Hi rtwikia! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

We have 3 equations with 3 unknowns:
$$\alpha+\beta=\frac{5}{2}$$
$$\alpha\beta=\frac{c}{2}$$
$$4\alpha-2\beta=7$$

That means we can get a solution by eliminating one variable after another... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That means we can get a solution by eliminating one variable after another... (Thinking)

Yes! I got it!(Rock)

$\beta=\frac{1}{2}\implies\alpha=2\implies c=2$

Thanks for your help!(Rock)

FAQ: Quadratic Equation Roots and Coefficients: Solving for Unknowns

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabolic curve when graphed and has two solutions.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are multiple methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and its factors.

What are the applications of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model real-life situations such as projectile motion, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in finance and economics to calculate profits and losses.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the expression b^2-4ac, which is found under the square root in the quadratic formula. It helps determine the nature of the solutions of the equation - whether they are real or imaginary, and whether they are equal or unequal.

Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two solutions. This is because the graph of a quadratic equation is a parabola, which only intersects the x-axis at two points. However, these solutions can be repeated or imaginary depending on the values of the constants in the equation.