Quadratic forms and kinetic energy

In summary, a proportionality of kinetic energy with square of velocity, Ek∝v2E_k\propto v^2, can be derived with help of quadratic forms.
exponent137
I heard that proportionality of kinetic energy with square of velocity, ##E_k\propto v^2##, can be derived with help of quadratic forms.

It goes like: we guess that ##E_k\propto v^2## and we assume that momentum ##p\propto v##, then equation is valid in another inertial system. And so on. The we try with ##E_k\propto v^3## and it does not work on this way.(I will not write all equations, for now.)

I think that I understand this principle, but I wish some references, where this is explained. And, I wish a more general explanation, maybe my explanation is too specific.

I will write more, that it will be clear what I thing with quadratic forms: We have two balls which collide. Let us respect conservation of momentum:
##m_1(v_1'-v_1)=-m_2(v_2'-v_2)##
##v_{1,2}## are velocities before collision and ##v'_{1,2}## are velocities after collision. ##m_{1,2}## are masses of both balls. I guess conservation of energy at collision, where part of energy may change in internal energy ##\Delta W##.
##1/2m_1(v_1^2-v_1'^2)+1/2m_2(v_2^2-v_2'^2)=\Delta W##
The first equation is put into the second one, what gives:
##1/2m_1(v_1-v_1')(v_1+v_1'-v_2-v_2')=\Delta W##
If ##\Delta W=0## The values 0 in the first (...) means that collision had not happened, and the values 0 in the second (...) is essential for description of our collision.

Internal energy should be the same, if we are in another inertial system, which moves with velocity ##u##, thus to every velocity it is added velocity ##u##:
##1/2m_1(v_1+u-v_1'-u)(v_1+u+v_1'+u-v_2-u-v_2'-u)=\Delta W##
It can be evident, that all velocities ##u## are anihilate, thus value for ##\Delta W## is the same as before.

Let us try still with energy with the power of 3:
##1/3m_1(v_1^3-v_1'^3)+1/3m_2(v_2^3-v_2'^3)=\Delta W##
It is obtained:
##1/3m_1(v_1-v_1')(v_1^2+v_1 v_1'+v_1'^2-v_2^2-v_2 v_2'-v_2'^2)=\Delta W##
If now ##u## has been added to every velocity, the value ##\Delta W## is not the same. The value is also not the same, if we use ##v^4## instead of ##v^2##, and so on.

This is one form of proof of ##W_{kin}\propto v^2## with quadratic form. I am interested for more generalized proof of this and for references and links for quadratic forms calculations?

It looks like you are using energy conservation to prove energy is conserved. That result should not be surprising.

exponent137 said:
I heard that proportionality of kinetic energy with square of velocity, Ekv2E_k\propto v^2, can be derived with help of quadratic forms.

The proportionality constant of 1/2 comes from the choice of units.

mfb said:
It looks like you are using energy conservation to prove energy is conserved. That result should not be surprising.
??
Maybe you want to say, that ##E_{kin}\propto v^2## comes from ##E=F dx=v dv##?
But ##E=Fdx## come empirically from observations, it is not derived from the first principles.

The link to "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, p. 265" (the 4th link) is relevant.
While the metric is "a thing of SR", a metric is found in many places.
Given a vector space, there is no natural notion of dot-product. One has to be introduced as extra structure, usually via a metric [although one might not refer to it explicitly].

A variation of the above search is
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=riemann+metric+-robot+"kinetic+energy"

The search is inspired by this statement:
"Kinetic energy is a Riemann Metric on Configuration Space"
- Geometrical Mechanics, Lectures by Saunders MacLane, Dept. of Math, U. Chicago, 1968.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/geome...-of-chicago-winter-quarter-1968/oclc/63616841

Likes exponent137
robphy said:
The link to "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, p. 265" (the 4th link) is relevant.
While the metric is "a thing of SR", a metric is found in many places.
Given a vector space, there is no natural notion of dot-product. One has to be introduced as extra structure, usually via a metric [although one might not refer to it explicitly].

A variation of the above search is
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=riemann+metric+-robot+"kinetic+energy"

The search is inspired by this statement:
"Kinetic energy is a Riemann Metric on Configuration Space"
- Geometrical Mechanics, Lectures by Saunders MacLane, Dept. of Math, U. Chicago, 1968.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/geome...-of-chicago-winter-quarter-1968/oclc/63616841
Yes, it is a nice link, but I thought something more simple, a similar derivation, which I gave in post #3 in this topic.

A simple derivation of [itex]W \propto v^2[/itex]? I always thought energy was just a convenient quantity that we defined from the following:

From kinematics we have [tex]v_f^2- v_i^2 =2a \Delta x[/tex]
Multiplying through by [itex]\frac{1}{2}m[/itex] gives [tex]\frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_i^2) = \Delta (\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = ma \Delta x = F \Delta x[/tex]
For an object being pushed by a variable force along a path in 1D, we can say that [tex] \Sigma \Delta (\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = \Sigma F_i \Delta x[/tex]
Taking the limits as [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/itex], [tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = \frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_i^2) = \int_{x_i}^{x_f} Fdx[/tex]
so we define the left quantity to be the change in the kinetic energy and the right integral to be work. This becomes [itex]\int_C \vec{F} \cdot \hat{T}ds [/itex] in higher dimensions because the only part of the force that contributes to a change in velocity is the force that is projected along the path.

RMalayappan said:
A simple derivation of [itex]W \propto v^2[/itex]? I always thought energy was just a convenient quantity that we defined from the following:

From kinematics we have [tex]v_f^2- v_i^2 =2a \Delta x[/tex]
Multiplying through by [itex]\frac{1}{2}m[/itex] gives [tex]\frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_i^2) = \Delta (\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = ma \Delta x = F \Delta x[/tex]
For an object being pushed by a variable force along a path in 1D, we can say that [tex] \Sigma \Delta (\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = \Sigma F_i \Delta x[/tex]
Taking the limits as [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/itex], [tex]\int_{x_i}^{x_f} d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2) = \frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2-v_i^2) = \int_{x_i}^{x_f} Fdx[/tex]
so we define the left quantity to be the change in the kinetic energy and the right integral to be work. This becomes [itex]\int_C \vec{F} \cdot \hat{T}ds [/itex] in higher dimensions because the only part of the force that contributes to a change in velocity is the force that is projected along the path.
Kinematics only gives the relation between force and energy. At this we should assume that energy is proportional with Fdx, what is an empirial fact, because of this conservation of energy followed. But, kinetic energy conservation should be derived without this empirical fact, only with a similar conservation as momentum conservation.

Last edited:
exponent137 said:
Kinematics only gives the relation between force and energy. At this we should assume that energy is proportional with Fdx, what is an empirial fact, because of this conservation of energy followed. But, kinetic energy conservation should be derived without this empirical fact, only with a similar conservation as momentum conservation.

Is the statement that energy is proportional to Fdx an assumption? I just showed that the left hand quantity is proportional to Fdx, and that is what I defined to be the kinetic energy.

You have to define "energy" somehow. You can use the integral over F dx or something else as definition, and then show everything else can be related to this quantity.

RMalayappan said:
Is the statement that energy is proportional to Fdx an assumption? I just showed that the left hand quantity is proportional to Fdx, and that is what I defined to be the kinetic energy.

Your left and right sides are only relations, they do not give, that energy is conserved, neither kinetic (left) not potential energy (right).

mfb said:
You have to define "energy" somehow. You can use the integral over F dx or something else as definition, and then show everything else can be related to this quantity.
More precisely, conservation of energy is important, not only energy per se.
Derivation #3 gives, that we need only law about conservation of momentum and independence of internal energy of inertial system (u). We do not need Fdx etc.
Of course, more it is possible to say about this.

Related to Quadratic forms and kinetic energy

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that consists of a quadratic polynomial in several variables. It is often used to represent the behavior of a physical system, such as the kinetic energy of a moving object.

2. How is kinetic energy related to quadratic forms?

Kinetic energy can be expressed as a quadratic form in terms of an object's speed and mass. The formula for kinetic energy, E = 1/2 * m * v^2, can be rewritten as a quadratic form, E = 1/2 * (m * v^2) = 1/2 * (m * v)^2.

3. Can quadratic forms be used to analyze the motion of particles in a system?

Yes, quadratic forms can be used to analyze the motion of particles in a system. The kinetic energy of a particle can be represented as a quadratic form, and by minimizing this form, we can determine the most efficient path for the particle to take in the system.

4. What is the relationship between the eigenvalues of a quadratic form and the motion of a system?

The eigenvalues of a quadratic form represent the behavior of the system. If the eigenvalues are positive, the system will exhibit regular motion. If the eigenvalues are negative, the system will exhibit unstable behavior. If the eigenvalues are zero, the system will be at a critical point.

5. How are quadratic forms used in physics?

In addition to representing the kinetic energy of a system, quadratic forms are also used in the study of potential energy, force fields, and the dynamics of particles. They are also used in optimization problems to find the most efficient solutions to physical systems.