Quadratic Residue and Quadratic Reciprocity Law QRL

Lexaila
Homework Statement
Show that p-6 is a quadratic residue modulo p if p \equiv 1,5,7,11 (mod 24)
Relevant Equations
legendre
(p-6/p)=(-1/p)(2/p)(3/p)

Make a table, so at the head row you have p(mod24), (-1/p), (2/p), QRL+-, (p/3) and finally (p-6/p), with in the head column below p (mod 24): 1,5,7,11

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

How do we make the table to show that p-6 is a quadratic residue modulo p if p \equiv 1,5,7,11 (mod 24)?

I suggest using Euler's criterion to calculate the values of the Legendre symbols. So you get the following structure:

p mod 24:​
1​
5​
7​
11​
(-1/p):​
(2/p):​
(3/p):​

Then multiply the three values. This gives you ##(-6/p).## Why is that equal to ##(p-6/p)##?

E.g., if ##p\equiv 7 \pmod{24}## then ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\equiv 3\pmod{24}## and ##(-1/p)=(-1)^3=-1.##

Last edited:
Likes Lexaila
fresh_42 said:
I suggest using Euler's criterion to calculate the values of the Legendre symbols. So you get the following structure:

1​
5​
7​
11​
(-1/p):​
(2/p):​
(3/p):​

Then multiply the three values. This gives you ##(-6/p).## Why is that equal to ##(p-6/p)##?

E.g., if ##p\equiv 7 \pmod{24}## then ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\equiv 3\pmod{24}## and ##(-1/p)=(-1)^3=-1.##
Thank you for your reply!
In our table we must also use QRL+- in between (2/p) and (3/p). I understand how to fill the rest of the table with 1 and -1, but not this QRL+- column and how it determines the final result of (p-6/p).

(-1/p)​
(2/p)​
QRL+-​
(3/p)​
(p-6 / p)
1​
1​
1​
?​
1​
5​
1​
-1​
?​
-1​
7-11?1
11​
-1​
?​
-1​

I didn't quite understand this either since a) Euler's criterion is based on QRL (IIRC), b) we already used it in the equations ##(p-6/p)=(-6/p)## and ##(a/p)\cdot (b/p) = (ab/p).## Maybe they simply meant the resulting product of the other three.

Edit: Or you should actually solve ##p-6=x^2 \pmod{p}## for ##x## in that row.

Likes Lexaila
fresh_42 said:
I didn't quite understand this either since a) Euler's criterion is based on QRL (IIRC), b) we already used it in the equations ##(p-6/p)=(-6/p)## and ##(a/p)\cdot (b/p) = (ab/p).## Maybe they simply meant the resulting product of the other three.

Edit: Or you should actually solve ##p-6=x^2 \pmod{p}## for ##x## in that row.
I'm still a bit confused, could you please give me an example from the table?

Lexaila said:
I'm still a bit confused, could you please give me an example from the table?
E.g. I get for ##p\equiv 5\pmod{24}## with
$$
\left(\dfrac{p-6}{p}\right)\equiv \left(\dfrac{-6}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)
$$
from your table, that ##\left(\dfrac{p-6}{p}\right)=1.## I would simply write a plus in the column QRL (and a minus in cases where the result is ##-1.##

I thought we could determine a value for which ##p-6\equiv x^2\pmod{p}## but I confused ##\pmod{p}## with ##\pmod{24}.## For the example above we would get for ##p=53## that ##p-6=47\equiv 10^2\pmod{53}## and for ##p=101## that ##p-6=95=14^2\pmod{101}.## We have in both cases ##x=2p-6## and ##p-6\equiv x^2\pmod{p}.## I don't know if this is a pattern or just luck. My practice on QRL applications is a bit rusty. You are the one who has the book.

Not sure what table they want, but you need to use the reciprocity law. It says that
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}##,
##\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}##,
##\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}##
then
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)##.

• Informative
Likes Lexaila
martinbn said:
Not sure what table they want, but you need to use the reciprocity law. It says that
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}##,
##\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}##
then
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)##.
Thank you, it solves that question!

But if I have a different example, such as ( (p+3)/2 /p) = (2/p)(3/p) and when I try to use
for, for example, p (mod24) with p=23, I get ##(-1)^{\frac{23^2-1}8}=1## and ##\left(\dfrac{23}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}=(-1)*(-1)*(-1)=-1##, so we get ##1*-1=-1##, while it should be 1. Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Lexaila said:
Thank you, it solves that question!

But if I have a different example, such as ( (p+3)/2 /p) = (2/p)(3/p) and when I try to use
for, for example, p (mod24) with p=23, I get ##(-1)^{\frac{23^2-1}8}=1## and ##\left(\dfrac{23}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}=(-1)*(-1)*(-1)=-1##, so we get ##1*-1=-1##, while it should be 1. Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?
It seems you forgot the ##(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}=(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}=-1##

Related to Quadratic Residue and Quadratic Reciprocity Law QRL

What is a quadratic residue?

A quadratic residue modulo a number \( n \) is an integer \( x \) such that there exists some integer \( y \) where \( y^2 \equiv x \pmod{n} \). In other words, \( x \) is a quadratic residue modulo \( n \) if it is the square of some integer modulo \( n \).

What is the Quadratic Reciprocity Law?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Law is a theorem in number theory that provides a criterion to determine whether an integer \( a \) is a quadratic residue modulo an odd prime \( p \). It relates the solvability of the congruences \( x^2 \equiv p \pmod{q} \) and \( x^2 \equiv q \pmod{p} \) for two distinct odd primes \( p \) and \( q \).

How is the Legendre symbol used in quadratic reciprocity?

The Legendre symbol \( \left( \frac{a}{p} \right) \) is a notation used to denote whether \( a \) is a quadratic residue modulo an odd prime \( p \). It is defined as \( 1 \) if \( a \) is a quadratic residue modulo \( p \) and \( -1 \) if it is not. The Quadratic Reciprocity Law uses the Legendre symbol to express the relationship between quadratic residues of different primes.

What is the statement of the Quadratic Reciprocity Law?

The statement of the Quadratic Reciprocity Law is: For any two distinct odd primes \( p \) and \( q \), the Legendre symbols satisfy \( \left( \frac{p}{q} \right) \left( \frac{q}{p} \right) = (-1)^{\frac{(p-1)(q-1)}{4}} \). This means that \( \left( \frac{p}{q} \right) \) and \( \left( \frac{q}{p} \right) \) are equal unless both \( p \) and \( q \) are congruent to \( 3 \pmod{4} \), in which case they are negatives of each other.

Why is the Quadratic Reciprocity Law important?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Law is important because it provides a deep insight into the nature of quadratic residues and non-residues. It allows mathematicians to determine whether a given number is a quadratic residue modulo a prime without having to perform exhaustive calculations. This law is a cornerstone of elementary number theory and has applications in various areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and the study of Diophantine equations.