Quadrilaterals using Geometer's Sketchpad (Thumbnail Included)

• Thread starter luke8ball
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to form a quadrilateral in Geomer's Sketchpad using points A, B, C, and D. The only quadrilaterals that can be formed are squares and rectangles, and the student is confused because they cannot create any other type of quadrilateral.
luke8ball
Hi Guys! I've attached a picture of the setup if you don't have Geometer's Sketchpad software. I honestly have no idea where to begin with this problem, as I've been staring at it for hours. Nevertheless, I've still put some thoughts down on what I think I should do.

Homework Statement

Use Geometer’s Sketchpad and draw points A, B, C (not all three are collinear).
Construct segments AC and BC.
Draw circle with center A and radius AC
Draw circle with Center B and radius BC
Label the other intersection of the circles D.
Draw segments BD and AD.

a. Drag point A, B, C, or D to change the shape of ABCD. What types of quadrilaterals can be formed? Explain.b. Are there types of quadrilaterals that cannot be formed? List and explain.

The Attempt at a Solution

Square – Yes. If the two circles have radii of the same length, and if you adjust points C and D accordingly, you can have all 90° angles.

Rectangle – You can have a rectangle with all equal sides, but you can’t have a rectangle that isn’t a square, as the adjacent sides are always radii of the same circle, and cannot be different lengths.

Rhombus – You can have a rhombus because you can have a square, and you could just adjust the angles if you wanted a rhombus that wasn’t a square?

Parallelogram – You can have a parallelogram, but it has to be a rhombus as well, because adjacent sides must be equal.

Kite – You can certainly have a kite, as the pairs of adjacent sides (radii) will always be equal.

Any hints would be truly appreciated; I feel like an idiot staring at this problem in Geometer's Sketchpad.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
All quadrilaterals formed must be symmetric about AB.
You can't create quadrilaterals that have 3 unequal sides or its sides crossed.

Thanks for the response!

So out of the list I've given, there are any of those that specifically can't be formed?
Does this also imply that a trapezoid must be an isosceles trapezoid?

The only trapezium can be formed is a square.

Related to Quadrilaterals using Geometer's Sketchpad (Thumbnail Included)

1. What is Geometer's Sketchpad?

Geometer's Sketchpad is a dynamic geometry software that allows users to create and manipulate geometric shapes and figures. It is commonly used in mathematics and science education to enhance visual learning and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I create a quadrilateral using Geometer's Sketchpad?

To create a quadrilateral using Geometer's Sketchpad, you can use the polygon tool to draw four sides and four vertices, or you can construct a quadrilateral by specifying the length and angles of each side.

3. How do I measure the properties of a quadrilateral in Geometer's Sketchpad?

To measure the properties of a quadrilateral, you can use the measurement tool to find the length of each side, the angles between sides, and the area and perimeter of the quadrilateral. You can also use the software's dynamic measurement feature to see how the properties change as you manipulate the shape.

4. Can I classify different types of quadrilaterals in Geometer's Sketchpad?

Yes, you can classify different types of quadrilaterals in Geometer's Sketchpad by using the classification tool. The software can recognize and label different types of quadrilaterals, such as squares, rectangles, parallelograms, and trapezoids, based on their properties.

5. Can I animate the construction of a quadrilateral in Geometer's Sketchpad?

Yes, you can animate the construction of a quadrilateral in Geometer's Sketchpad by using the animation feature. This allows you to see the step-by-step process of creating a quadrilateral and how its properties change as you manipulate the shape. This feature is useful for teaching and learning purposes.