Quadrupole Moment: Definition & Explanation

• Thread starter Petar Mali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a quadrupole and its mathematical representation using the Kronecker delta and the quadrupole moment Q_0. The correct relation for a symmetric quadrupole along the z-axis is discussed and a reference to further reading on the topic is provided. The conversation also mentions a related formula from Landau's "Non relativistic quantum mechanics" book, which can be reduced to the previously mentioned relation when the unit vector n is in the z direction.
Petar Mali
In wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrupole

Is this [tex]\delta_{i,j}[/tex] Kronecker delta?

In my notebook I have relation:

[tex]Q_{i,j}=\frac{3}{2}eQ_0(x_ix_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta_{i,j})[/tex]

When direction of external field are the direction of symmetry axis [tex]Q=Q_0[/tex].

In which book I can find more about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Petar Mali said:
In wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrupole
Is this [tex]\delta_{i,j}[/tex] Kronecker delta?
In my notebook I have relation:
[tex]Q_{i,j}=\frac{3}{2}eQ_0(x_ix_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta_{i,j})[/tex]
When direction of external field are the direction of symmetry axis [tex]Q=Q_0[/tex].
In which book I can find more about this?
[tex]\delta_{i,j}[/tex] is the Kronecker delta.
The relation from your notebook is not quite right. It should be
[tex]Q_{i,j}=\frac{3}{2}Q_0(\delta_{i,3}\delta_{j,3}-\frac{1}{3}\delta_{i,j})[/tex]
for a symmetric quadrupole aligned along the z (or 3) axis, having quadrupole moment Q_0.
There is a full discussion of quadrupoles in Section 2.4 of Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism" (AW.com).

Thanks! :smile:

Meir Achuz said:
[tex]\delta_{i,j}[/tex] is the Kronecker delta.
The relation from your notebook is not quite right. It should be
[tex]Q_{i,j}=\frac{3}{2}Q_0(\delta_{i,3}\delta_{j,3}-\frac{1}{3}\delta_{i,j})[/tex]
for a symmetric quadrupole aligned along the z (or 3) axis, having quadrupole moment Q_0.
There is a full discussion of quadrupoles in Section 2.4 of Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism" (AW.com).

I found that in "Non relativistic quantum mechanics" of Landau. There is formulation:
[tex]Q_{i,j}=\frac{3}{2}Q_0(n_in_j-\frac{1}{3}\delta_{i,j})[/tex]

where [tex]n_i,n_j[/tex] are components of unit vector [tex]\vec{n}[/tex].

My formula is the reduction of Landau's when the unit vector n is in the z direction.

Related to Quadrupole Moment: Definition & Explanation

1. What is a quadrupole moment?

A quadrupole moment is a measure of the distribution of electric charge within a system. It describes the deviation of the charge distribution from spherical symmetry, and is an important concept in the study of electric fields and their effects.

2. How is quadrupole moment calculated?

The quadrupole moment is calculated by summing the products of the charge and its distance from the center of the system, raised to the power of two. This calculation takes into account the charge distribution, rather than just the total charge, and provides a more accurate representation of the system.

3. What is the difference between dipole and quadrupole moment?

The dipole moment measures the separation of positive and negative charges within a system, while the quadrupole moment measures the distribution of charge within the system. The dipole moment is a vector quantity, while the quadrupole moment is a tensor quantity.

4. What are some applications of quadrupole moment?

The quadrupole moment is used in many areas of physics, including nuclear physics, atomic physics, and molecular physics. It is also used in astrophysics to study the shape and structure of celestial bodies, and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. How does quadrupole moment affect electric fields?

The quadrupole moment affects the shape and strength of electric fields. In systems with a non-zero quadrupole moment, the electric field is not spherically symmetric, and there may be regions of higher and lower electric field strength. This can have important implications for the behavior of particles and molecules within the electric field.

Back