Quantity of matter, mass concentration, molar concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating quantity of matter, mass concentration, and molar concentration for a physics exercise. The conversation suggests using the formula n = m/M for quantity of matter, C = n/V for molar concentration, and Cm = M x C for mass concentration. A helpful website for students is also recommended for further assistance.
gwenshann
Hey! I need some help please!

Anyone know how I can calculate the quantity of matter, the mass concentration and the molar concentration? It is for a physics exercise!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there!

I was looking for the same answer as you and I found a great website for students! The purpose is to post your homework and to gel help :)

I found there that to calculate the quantity of matter the formula is n = m/M, the molar concentration is C = n/V and the mass concentration is Cm = M x C

You can check it out here : www.digischool.co.uk/homework/year-11/physics

Hope I helped you :) See you!

FAQ: Quantity of matter, mass concentration, molar concentration

1. What is the difference between quantity of matter and mass concentration?

The quantity of matter refers to the amount of physical substance present, typically measured in grams or kilograms. Mass concentration, on the other hand, refers to the mass of a substance per unit volume, typically measured in grams per liter.

2. How is molar concentration calculated?

Molar concentration, also known as molarity, is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. The resulting unit is moles per liter (mol/L).

3. What is Avogadro's number and how is it related to molar concentration?

Avogadro's number is a constant that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. It is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 particles per mole. Molar concentration is based on this concept, as it measures the number of moles of a substance per liter of solution.

4. How does temperature affect the quantity of matter and molar concentration?

As temperature increases, the quantity of matter typically expands due to thermal expansion. This means that the same substance will have a larger mass and volume at higher temperatures, thus affecting the mass concentration and molar concentration. Additionally, temperature changes can also affect the solubility of a substance, which in turn can affect its molar concentration in a solution.

5. What is the relationship between density and mass concentration?

Density is the mass of a substance per unit volume, while mass concentration is the mass of a substance per unit volume of solution. Therefore, there is a direct relationship between density and mass concentration, as both measure the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance.

Back