Quantization of vector field in the Coulomb gauge

In summary, the divergence of the two terms in the commutation relation is not zero, so the canonical commutation relations must be modified to include a transverse part."
diracologia
I have a technical question and at the time being I can't ask it to a professor. So, I'm here:

If I try to quantize the vector field in the Coulomb gauge (radiation gauge)

[tex] A_0(x)=0,\quad \vec\nabla\cdot\vec A=0. [/tex]

by imposing the equal-time commutation relation

[tex] [A_i(x),E_j(y)]=-i\delta_{ij}\delta(\vec x-\vec y)[/tex]

then I should find

[tex]\partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j]=0, [/tex]
since [itex] \vec\nabla\cdot\vec A=0, [/itex] which is inconsistent with [itex] \partial_i\delta_{ij}\delta(\vec x-\vec y)\neq 0[/itex].

My question is simply how to take this divergence

[tex]\partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j] [/tex]

I'm getting
[tex] \partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j]+A_i\partial_i E_j-(\partial_i E_j)A_i .[/tex]
I must be missing something in the math here. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember much of this, but if you can write [itex]\vec E=-\nabla\phi[/itex], then the last two terms cancel each other out.

diracologia said:
I have a technical question and at the time being I can't ask it to a professor. So, I'm here:

If I try to quantize the vector field in the Coulomb gauge (radiation gauge)

[tex] A_0(x)=0,\quad \vec\nabla\cdot\vec A=0. [/tex]

by imposing the equal-time commutation relation

[tex] [A_i(x),E_j(y)]=-i\delta_{ij}\delta(\vec x-\vec y)[/tex]

then I should find

[tex]\partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j]=0, [/tex]
since [itex] \vec\nabla\cdot\vec A=0, [/itex] which is inconsistent with [itex] \partial_i\delta_{ij}\delta(\vec x-\vec y)\neq 0[/itex].

My question is simply how to take this divergence

[tex]\partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j] [/tex]

I'm getting
[tex] \partial_i[A_i,E_j]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j]+A_i\partial_i E_j-(\partial_i E_j)A_i .[/tex]
I must be missing something in the math here. Can anyone help me?

[tex]\partial^{x}_i[A_i(x),E_j(y)]=[\vec\nabla\cdot\vec A,E_j(y)] [/tex]

you are not differentiating with respect to y. If you want to avoid confussion just set y = 0.

Sam

Kaku's QFT p.110 seems to be addressing your question:

"If we impose canonical commutation relations, we find a further complication.

[Ai(x,t), Ej(y,t)] = −iδijδ(x⃗ − y⃗)

However, this cannot be correct because we can take the divergence of both sides of the equation. The divergence of Ai is zero, so the left-hand side is zero, but the right hand side is not. As a result, we must modify the canonical commutation relations as follows:

[Ai(x,t), Ej(y,t)] = −iδijδ(x⃗ − y⃗)

where the right-hand side must be transverse; that is:

δij = ∫d3k/(2π)3 exp(ik·(x-x') (δij - kikj/k2)

[In other words, in Coulomb gauge only the transverse part is quantized, so only the transverse part appears in the commutator.]

EDIT: In other books they make this even more explicit by putting a "transverse part" operator on both A and E on the left hand side.

Last edited:
Thank you all,

Sam, you solve my puzzle. I just puted [itex]\partial_i [/itex] and forgot that this is a differentiation only over [itex]x[/itex]. Shame on me!

FAQ: Quantization of vector field in the Coulomb gauge

1. What is the Coulomb gauge in vector field quantization?

The Coulomb gauge is a specific choice of gauge in which the vector potential A satisfies the condition ∇•A = 0. This simplifies the mathematical equations and makes the physical interpretation of the vector potential more clear.

2. Why is it important to quantize vector fields in the Coulomb gauge?

Quantization of vector fields in the Coulomb gauge is important because it allows for a consistent and well-defined quantization of the electromagnetic field. It also leads to the correct physical interpretation of the vector potential as the mediator of electromagnetic interactions.

3. What is the significance of the Coulomb gauge condition in quantization?

The Coulomb gauge condition plays a crucial role in quantization as it ensures the transverse nature of the vector potential, which is necessary for the consistency of the theory. It also simplifies the calculations and allows for a clearer physical understanding of the vector potential.

4. How is the Coulomb gauge condition mathematically implemented in vector field quantization?

To implement the Coulomb gauge condition in vector field quantization, the vector potential A is decomposed into transverse and longitudinal components. The transverse component is then used to construct the physical states, while the longitudinal component is eliminated from the theory.

5. Can the Coulomb gauge be used in all cases of vector field quantization?

While the Coulomb gauge is widely used in many applications of vector field quantization, it may not always be the most convenient or appropriate choice. In certain cases, such as in the presence of boundaries or non-trivial topologies, other gauges may be more suitable. However, for the majority of cases, the Coulomb gauge remains a useful and important tool in quantizing vector fields.

Back