Quantum Book Self Study for GRE

In summary, a good book to study for the GRE would be Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. It is self-contained and is easy to follow for a beginner.
Crush1986
Hello,

I'm taking the GRE this comming fall. Unfortunately my university doesn't do QM until your senior year. Which means I won't see much QM in school until after I take the GRE. I want to study up some this summer to increase my chances of getting a good score. What book would you suggest that is easy for self study and would also prepare me for the GRE type questions?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. While you're working through it, keep a stack of old GRE Physics quantum mechanics problems next to it to use as supplemental exercises to the text.

The Bill said:
I'd recommend Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. While you're working through it, keep a stack of old GRE Physics quantum mechanics problems next to it to use as supplemental exercises to the text.
Thank you, I'll look into it!

How can someone recommend Shankar to a person who hasn't even attended an introductory QM course is beyond me. I have seen so many times in the forum people recommend advanced texts to beginners that i don't know what to say. Either I'm just a bad student (i'm certainly not great) or people like to show off or something else I'm not quite sure of.

dsatkas said:
How can someone recommend Shankar to a person who hasn't even attended an introductory QM course is beyond me. I have seen so many times in the forum people recommend advanced texts to beginners that i don't know what to say. Either I'm just a bad student (i'm certainly not great) or people like to show off or something else I'm not quite sure of.
Is Shankar a graduate text or advanced undergrad? The only QM I have seen is from Halliday and Resnick :/ well and a slight bit more my professor threw in since he thought the book was way too light. Do you think this book would be far too advanced?

Shankar can be used for introductory QM, but it is often used as a first year graduate text, yes. The most common undergraduate text is Griffiths, but I hesitate to recommend it, because though it starts off clear and well, it is muddled and confusing in some important middle and later sections.

Shankar may be a bit difficult, but it is also self contained. It doesn't assume you've had an introductory course. If you want a more traditional, slower, Schrödinger-first introduction, Albert Messiah's text is a Dover publication now. If you want a relatively easy introduction to the Dirac formalism, Marvin Chester's Primer of Quantum Mechanics is also a Dover publication now.

Chester + Shankar would be a decent introduction, giving a thorough grounding in the subject. I'd work through them in parallel rather than one after the other, since Chester is all about learning about state vectors and measurements, and Shankar deals thoroughly with the practical applications thereof.

But, Messiah is a decent traditional introduction as well. Look at the GRE Physics sample tests, and look at the tables of contents of the textbooks you're considering to see which ones cover the material at a pace you're comfortable with.

The Bill said:
Shankar can be used for introductory QM, but it is often used as a first year graduate text, yes. The most common undergraduate text is Griffiths, but I hesitate to recommend it, because though it starts off clear and well, it is muddled and confusing in some important middle and later sections.

Shankar may be a bit difficult, but it is also self contained. It doesn't assume you've had an introductory course. If you want a more traditional, slower, Schrödinger-first introduction, Albert Messiah's text is a Dover publication now. If you want a relatively easy introduction to the Dirac formalism, Marvin Chester's Primer of Quantum Mechanics is also a Dover publication now.

Chester + Shankar would be a decent introduction, giving a thorough grounding in the subject. I'd work through them in parallel rather than one after the other, since Chester is all about learning about state vectors and measurements, and Shankar deals thoroughly with the practical applications thereof.

But, Messiah is a decent traditional introduction as well. Look at the GRE Physics sample tests, and look at the tables of contents of the textbooks you're considering to see which ones cover the material at a pace you're comfortable with.
Ok I'll check it out. It looks like it's available in my universities library. Thanks!

Related to Quantum Book Self Study for GRE

1. What is "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" and how does it differ from other study materials?

"Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" is a comprehensive study guide specifically designed for students preparing for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). It differs from other study materials in that it utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to help students better understand and retain the complex concepts tested on the GRE.

2. How can studying quantum mechanics help me prepare for the GRE?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale. By using analogies and examples from quantum mechanics, "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" helps students develop a deeper understanding of abstract and complex concepts on the GRE, making it easier to remember and apply them on the exam.

3. Can "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" benefit all students, regardless of their academic background?

Yes, "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" is designed to benefit all students, regardless of their academic background. While prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is not necessary, a basic understanding of mathematics and physics can be helpful. The book also includes a review of key math and physics concepts to ensure all students can benefit from the quantum approach.

4. How is "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" structured and what topics does it cover?

The book is divided into sections that correspond to the different sections of the GRE - Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. Each section covers key topics and strategies for success, including an introduction to quantum mechanics, common GRE question types, and practice problems with detailed explanations.

5. Are there any additional resources or support available for students using "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE"?

Yes, "Quantum Book Self Study for GRE" also offers online resources such as practice tests, interactive quizzes, and a discussion forum where students can ask questions and receive support from the author and other students. Additionally, the author provides personalized coaching and tutoring services to further assist students in their GRE preparation.