Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the paper "Irreversibility in Collapse-Free Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics" by M. B. Weissman, which proposes non-linear CPT-violating modifications of quantum dynamics as a possible explanation for the irreversibility of statistical mechanics. The reverse picture, where statistical irreversibility leads to quantum irreversibility, is considered less satisfactory as it does not explain the Born probability rule. The conversation also touches on other related topics such as the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI), the Measurement Problem, and CPT violations. The question about branching in time symmetry is posed, leading to a discussion of multiple possible worlds.
DrChinese
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere already, and it certainly hits on a lot of topics which have been recently discussed:

Irreversibility in Collapse-Free Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics by our esteemed member M. B. Weissman:

Abstract: Proposals to solve the problems of quantum measurement via non-linear CPT-violating modifications of quantum dynamics are argued to provide a possible fundamental explanation for the irreversibility of statistical mechanics as well. The argument is expressed in terms of collapse-free accounts. The reverse picture, in which statistical irreversibility generates quantum irreversibility, is argued to be less satisfactory because it leaves the Born probability rule unexplained.

So in one shot, we get to discuss (among other topics): MWI, Thermodynamics, Collapse Postulate, the Measurement Problem and CPT violations! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
DrChinese said:
So in one shot, we get to discuss (among other topics): MWI, Thermodynamics, Collapse Postulate, the Measurement Problem and CPT violations! :smile:

Oh my god! I think I'm going to have a headache!

:)

Zz.

OK, I will start off with a basic question. MWI postulates branching to the future. If there is time symmetry, I would imagine that there is also branching to the past. That would mean that there are many possible worlds that lead to this one. Is that correct (assuming what I just said makes any sense) ?

Related to Quantum Dynamics and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

1. What is quantum dynamics?

Quantum dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and classical mechanics to understand the motion and evolution of particles and systems.

2. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to quantum dynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the entropy (measure of disorder) will either remain constant or increase over time. In quantum dynamics, this law is seen in the probabilistic nature of particles, where their locations and states cannot be precisely determined, leading to an increase in overall entropy.

3. Can quantum dynamics violate the second law of thermodynamics?

No, quantum dynamics does not violate the second law of thermodynamics. While it may seem that the probabilistic nature of particles allows for a decrease in entropy, the overall system still follows the law as the uncertainty and randomness of the particles leads to an overall increase in entropy.

4. How does quantum entanglement relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become correlated and share a state, even when separated by large distances. This has implications for the second law of thermodynamics as it allows for the transfer of information and energy between particles, increasing the overall entropy of the system.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding the relationship between quantum dynamics and the second law of thermodynamics?

Understanding the interplay between quantum dynamics and the second law of thermodynamics has many potential applications, such as developing more efficient energy systems, improving quantum computing technology, and gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.