Quantum Entanglement: No Comm Thm & Counterfactual Def

• Thread starter Physicsunderstand1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entanglement
In summary, it proves that two particles, which are in an entangled state, cannot communicate with each other. This happens because any attempt to send a message would cause the two particles to become decoupled, and then the message would not be transmitted.
Physicsunderstand1
I've recently been reading up on quantum entanglement, and I was wondering how the no communication theorem does not rule out non locality. From my understanding the theorm proves that two entangled particles could not communicate to one another, and this is what occurs within the framework of quantum non locality. My second question also pertains to entanglement. I was wondering how assuming that counterfactual definitness is false rids the need of non locality.

Last edited:
Likes yeezyseason3 and Jeff Rosenbury
Physics news on Phys.org
Stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...isn't non-locality referring to "particles" or "photons" communicating with each other? Also isn't the no-communication theorem referring to the actual observation by an outside reference frame?

It is my understanding that the no communication theorem proves that the two particles cannot communicate to one another, however an outside source may communicate to both. I'm not sure of the mathmatical proof reguarding the theory, however this is what I've been told by a physicist.

I don't know how relevant it is, but ill use photons as an example. If you upconvert into two complimentary entangled photons, it is (as far as we know) impossible to delay one of the photons without affecting the other photon in some way. This intrinsic "connection" could be one reason on how non-locality can occur in this scenario.

Last edited:
yeezyseason3 said:
I don't know how relevant it is, but ill use photons as an example. If you upconvert into two complimentary entangled photons, it is (as far as we know) impossible to delay one of the photons without affecting the other photon in some way. This intrinsic "connection" could be one reason on how non-locality can occur in this scenario.
My understanding is that no connection has been shown, only correlation.

In the human realm, we often say, "Correlation doesn't prove causation." But our human experience is otherwise; usually a correlation means someone did something. Yet the quantum world is not the world of human experience, so perhaps the adage is true?

Physicsunderstand1 said:
It is my understanding that the no communication theorem proves that the two particles cannot communicate to one another, however an outside source may communicate to both. I'm not sure of the mathmatical proof reguarding the theory, however this is what I've been told by a physicist.

The no-signalling theorem says that nothing you do to one particle will allow you send a message to someone watching the other particle.
The wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem is worth reading.

Likes yeezyseason3

Related to Quantum Entanglement: No Comm Thm & Counterfactual Def

What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances.

What is the No Communication Theorem?

The No Communication Theorem states that it is not possible to use quantum entanglement to transmit information faster than the speed of light. This is because the measurement of one entangled particle does not reveal any information about the state of the other particle, making it impossible to use entanglement for communication.

What is the counterfactual definiteness principle?

The counterfactual definiteness principle is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that measurements of a system should have definite outcomes, even if they are not observed. This principle is often challenged by quantum entanglement experiments, where the state of a particle cannot be determined until it is observed.

What are some real-world applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and quantum teleportation. It could also be used in developing more precise sensors and clocks, as well as in quantum cryptography for secure data encryption.

What are the current challenges in understanding and utilizing quantum entanglement?

Some of the current challenges in understanding and utilizing quantum entanglement include maintaining entanglement over long distances, reducing the effects of noise and interference, and finding practical and cost-effective ways to harness its potential for technology and communication.