Quantum Mechanics, a free particle prepared as a gaussian wavepacket

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a given equation and using a hint to transform the equation into a form of a normal distribution. The goal is to find the expectation values of x and x^2 without having to evaluate more gaussian integrals.
Cogswell

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the attached image. I'm currently trying to work out question one.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} \Psi (x,0) e^{-ikx} dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the first thing I did was to normalise it, but then I realized it was already normalised, so there's no need to do so there.

Using the above relevant equation:

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-ax^2} e^{ik'x} e^{-ikx} dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-ax^2 + ik'x -ikx} dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-[ax^2 + (ik - ik')x]} dx[/tex]

Using the hint, ## ax^2 + (ik - ik')x = u^2 - \dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a} ## where ## u = \sqrt{a} \left( x+\dfrac{(ik-ik')}{2a} \right)##
And therefore ## du = \sqrt{a} dx ##So then the equation becomes:

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} exp - \left( u^2 - \dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a} \right) dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} e^{-u^2} e^{\dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a}} \dfrac{du}{\sqrt{a}}[/tex][tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a}} e^{\dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} e^{-u^2} du [/tex]

Now how do I change the bounds of integration? If there were still from negative infinity to positive infinity, I'd get ## \sqrt{ \pi} ## for the integral part, so is that right?

I feel like it's not from negative infinity to infinity though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bounds look correct, as your definition of u goes toward -∞ as x goes to -∞, and ∞ as x goes to ∞ (provided that [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] is taken to be positive, if it's not, the integral just becomes negative and the [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] in front of the integral will make it positive again).

Last edited:
Okay thanks.

I have done question 2 and this is what I got:

[tex]\Psi (x,t) = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}}[/tex]

where exp is the exponential function.
I asked a friend and he said he also got something this messy for the answer.

However, I run into trouble when I try to do the expectation values of ## x ## and ## x^2 ## for question 3.
I remember my lecturer saying something about a way of solving this (if you know ##<x>## and ## \sigma_x ## then you can work out ## <x^2> ## without having to evaluate 2 more gaussian integrals.

So to work out ##<x>## I use:

[tex]<x> = \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \Psi (x,t)^* (x) \Psi (x,t)dx[/tex]

And of course I can extract out the constants so I get:

[tex]<x> = \left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right) exp \left( \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

[tex]<x> = \left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} + \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

I don't really know what to do now because I have imaginary's on the top and bottom of the fraction. It doesn't really seem like a gaussian integral.

Anyone know what I can do or if there's an easier/better way to do this (my lecturer said I can do all of question 3 on one page if I knew the shortcuts)? Doing the ## <x^2>## will be similar to this as well I presume.

huh, how would I got about opening the attachment?

I don't know, I'm sure I attached it before.

Here it is again... hopefully it works

Attachments

• IMG_20130428_144247.jpg
    IMG_20130428_144247.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 460
I think your lecturer was talking about finding [itex]<x^2>[/itex] with the relation σ=[itex]\sqrt{<x^2> - <x>^2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yea I've already solved it... I just have to transform this:

[tex]\left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} + \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

into the form [tex]\dfrac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-(x- \mu)^2}{2 \sigma ^2}}[/tex]

using a few algebra tricks and compare co-efficients. This is just the general equation for a normal distribution.

The function is already normalised and so ## \mu ## is the expectation value of x and ## \sigma_x ^2 ## is the variance and I can use those 2 things to work out ## <x^2> ##

Related to Quantum Mechanics, a free particle prepared as a gaussian wavepacket

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It provides a framework for understanding how these particles behave and interact with each other.

2. What is a free particle?

A free particle is a particle that is not subject to any external forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields. In quantum mechanics, a free particle is described by a wave function that evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

3. What is a gaussian wavepacket?

A gaussian wavepacket is a type of wave function that represents the probability of a free particle being in a certain position and having a certain momentum. It is called "gaussian" because its shape resembles a bell curve, with a peak at the most probable position and a spread that decreases as you move away from the peak.

4. How is a free particle prepared as a gaussian wavepacket?

A free particle can be prepared as a gaussian wavepacket by applying a mathematical operation called a Fourier transform to the particle's initial wave function. This transforms the wave function from one that describes a particle with a definite momentum to one that describes a wavepacket with a spread of possible momenta.

5. How does a free particle behave as a gaussian wavepacket?

A free particle prepared as a gaussian wavepacket will exhibit wave-like behavior, meaning that it can be found in multiple positions and momenta simultaneously. As time passes, the wavepacket will spread out and become more diffuse, representing the increasing uncertainty in the particle's position and momentum.