Quantum mechanics and an LED lab help

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab for IB Physics where the research question is how the potential difference needed to operate an LED depends on the frequency of the light emitted. The setup includes a circuit with a voltmeter, a 220ohm resistor, and 6 colors of light. The teacher uses a spectrometer to provide wavelength and intensity data, and the student is struggling to find the frequency of the light wave. They discuss using the equation e=hf and the wavelength to find the frequency, as well as the importance of Planck's constant and the purpose of the resistor in the circuit. Eventually, the student graphs the frequency vs potential and uses the equation E=qV to find the energy loss of electrons, leading them to
venndicator
so i have to do this lab for ib physics and i am a noob at physics and i am having some trouble with the lab that i have to do.

Homework Statement

the research question is "how does potential difference needed to operate an LED depend on the frequency of the light emitted?
it is set up in a circuit with a voltmeter to 6.0v, and a 220ohm resistor. there were 6 colors that i had to use, purple, blue, green, yellow, red and infrared.

i now have to potential for each of the 6 colors, and the teacher used his spectrometer to give us the wavelength and intensity of the light. the wavelength and intensity are just lots of data points, but when i graphed them, i noticed peaks following the colors of the rainbow but reversed. now my question to you guys is how do i find the frequency of the light wave?

Homework Equations

the only equation he gave was e=hf, with e being energy, h is plank's constant, and f is frequency. but i still don't know what to do here. i need to find the frequency somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

cant find the frequency :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello venndicator,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
venndicator said:
so i have to do this lab for ib physics and i am a noob at physics and i am having some trouble with the lab that i have to do.

Homework Statement

the research question is "how does potential difference needed to operate an LED depend on the frequency of the light emitted?
it is set up in a circuit with a voltmeter to 6.0v, and a 220ohm resistor. there were 6 colors that i had to use, purple, blue, green, yellow, red and infrared.

i now have to potential for each of the 6 colors, and the teacher used his spectrometer to give us the wavelength and intensity of the light. the wavelength and intensity are just lots of data points, but when i graphed them, i noticed peaks following the colors of the rainbow but reversed. now my question to you guys is how do i find the frequency of the light wave?

Homework Equations

the only equation he gave was e=hf, with e being energy, h is plank's constant, and f is frequency. but i still don't know what to do here. i need to find the frequency somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

cant find the frequency :(
Wow. What an excellent lab exercise! It's so simple, and so to the point. You're going to love this!

Okay, I'll get you started. :smile: The velocity of a wave is its frequency multiplied times its wavelength. This is true for any wave (sound waves, water waves, any type of waves [assuming the waves are periodic]). It also applies to light waves. How fast does light travel?

Last edited:
thanks collinsmark,
c=3x10^8

i asked my friend, he said that the peak on the graphs, like the point with the highest point on the graph is the intensity. like the peak for intensity for purple is 0.7, and the wavelength at 0.7 is ~412nm. does that mean that the wavelength is 412nm? he then said to put it into f=c/lambda. is this the right way to do this?

and also, he told me he is stuck, he asked me "are we supposed to end up at plank's constant?" and asked me what the resistor is for.

edit: i looked it up online, i am so much derp, the wavelengths are pretty identical to my graph >.>
i just have to use f=c/lambda

venndicator said:
thanks collinsmark,
c=3x10^8

i asked my friend, he said that the peak on the graphs, like the point with the highest point on the graph is the intensity. like the peak for intensity for purple is 0.7, and the wavelength at 0.7 is ~412nm. does that mean that the wavelength is 412nm? he then said to put it into f=c/lambda. is this the right way to do this?
If I'm understanding you correctly, that sounds reasonable.
and also, he told me he is stuck, he asked me "are we supposed to end up at plank's constant?"
Planck's constant is an important part of all this. You'll end up using it one way or another.
and asked me what the resistor is for.
If you were to connect the LED directly across a 6.0 V source (forward biased), the LED would burn up and would never work again. The resistor needs to be there to limit the current.

Somehow you'll end up needing voltage drop that was across each LED, when you did the experiment. Perhaps you measured the voltage across the LED with the voltmeter? Or if you measured the current through the circuit, you could use Ohms law to find the voltage drop across the resistor, and subtract that from the 6.0 V to find the voltage across the LED.
edit: i looked it up online, i am so much derp, the wavelengths are pretty identical to my graph >.>
i just have to use f=c/lambda
Okay, that's a good start.

i just graphed the frequency vs potential, it looks linear. but i still don't know how Planck's is used here

edit: i some person on FB told me that "energy of light is E=hf. The energy loss of electrons is E=qV as they pass the voltage difference in the LED. Combine the equations and use the graph to get a value for h. compare with actual value." i think this is legit, as he is doing the same lab i am. but what i do not know is how to find the q, charge, is it the elementary charge?

Last edited:
Elementary charge of an electron: you can look this up on google. Other than that, you are on the right track. Good job!

many thanks, collinsmark, you have helped me a lot on this. i think i should have used this a long time ago. you are so helpful, maybe i can use this site for more labs next time :)

collinsmark said:

Wow. What an excellent lab exercise! It's so simple, and so to the point. You're going to love this!
Yes. It does look like a great lab exercise, assuming I understand what's going on here.

venndicator said:
many thanks, collinsmark, you have helped me a lot on this. i think i should have used this a long time ago. you are so helpful, maybe i can use this site for more labs next time :)
As a follow up, yes, the charge you are looking for is the elementary charge of an electron. The theory goes that electrons are "pumped" up from a lower energy state to a higher energy state by applying a voltage across the LED's PN junction (and this particular voltage is determined by properties specific to the chemical makeup/structure of the semiconductor -- we don't need to concern ourselves with the particulars of this makeup/structure though for this exercise. Measuring the voltage across the terminals will suffice).

As an electron "falls" back down from the higher energy state to the lower energy state, a photon is released.

You don't need to just trust somebody on Facebook [Edit: or even me for that matter] that the relationship between the frequency of a photon and its energy is E = hf. This relationship was established by Albert Einstein 1905, in his paper "Concerning an Heuristic Point of View Toward the Emission and Transformation of Light", A. Einstein, Annelen der Physik, Mar. 18, 1905. Although this paper was published before the term "photon" was used (so you won't find the term "photon" in the paper). And of course, your instructor gave you this equation as part of the lab exercise too. [Edit: and if I'm not mistaken, you've now just proved this to yourself in your own experiment!]

And yes, the energy it takes to move an electron across a potential difference V is eV where e is the charge of an electron. The only assumption being made here is that each electron involved moves from one particular lower energy state to a particular higher energy state, and there is exactly one photon per energy state transition of each electron, as it falls back. With that, it is correct to equate the two energy equations giving eV = hf (or eV = hc/λ).

You've just shown a relationship for the minimum potential difference across the terminals of an LED (for it to produce light), and the wavelength of the LED's light (which is essentially the same thing as the light's color). This relationship involves:
  • The speed of light
  • Planck's constant
  • The elementary charge of an electron,
all in one simple experiment. Neat, huh!

Last edited:

Related to Quantum mechanics and an LED lab help

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to LED lab help?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is the foundation of modern physics and has many applications, including the development of LED technology. In an LED lab, quantum mechanics principles are used to understand and manipulate the behavior of electrons and photons in order to create efficient and high-performing LED devices.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the working principle of an LED?

In an LED, electrons are excited by an external energy source and move from a higher energy level to a lower one. This causes them to release energy in the form of photons, which we see as light. Quantum mechanics explains this process by describing the energy levels of electrons and the rules for their movement and interactions with photons. It also explains why LEDs are more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, as they produce very little heat energy.

3. What is the role of quantum dots in LED lab research?

Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor particles that have unique optical and electronic properties due to their size and structure. In LED lab research, quantum dots are used to improve the performance of LEDs by allowing for more control over the color and efficiency of the emitted light. They are also being studied for their potential use in next-generation LED displays and lighting systems.

4. Can quantum mechanics be used to improve the efficiency of LEDs?

Yes, quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in improving the efficiency of LEDs. By understanding the behavior of electrons and photons at the quantum level, researchers can design and optimize LED materials and structures to reduce energy losses and improve light output. This has led to significant advancements in LED technology, making them more energy-efficient and longer-lasting compared to other lighting options.

5. How is quantum mechanics research helping to advance the development of new LED technologies?

Quantum mechanics research is constantly pushing the boundaries of LED technology. Scientists are using quantum mechanics principles to design new materials, develop more efficient manufacturing processes, and explore new applications for LEDs. This research has led to advancements in areas such as flexible and transparent LED displays, as well as the integration of LEDs into various devices and systems, such as solar cells and medical equipment.