Quantum Mechanics: Evaluate the following using Ket-Bra notation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with four unrelated parts. The first two parts were completed without much difficulty, but the next two are proving to be more challenging. The problem involves using Ket-Bra notation to evaluate a function of a Hermitian operator with known eigenvalues. The attempt at a solution involved using a Taylor expansion, but it is not clear if this is the correct approach. The conversation also mentions a second part involving a sum using Ket-Bra notation, which has not yet been attempted.
Xyius
This problem has 4 parts to it (that are unrelated to each other). I did the first two parts without too much trouble but these next two parts have me stumped!

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following using Ket-Bra notation
a.)[tex]exp[if(A)]=?[/tex]
Where A is a Hermitian operator whose eigenvalues are known.

b.)[tex]\Sigma _{a'}\psi^{*}_{a'}(x') \psi_{a'}(x'')[/tex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of, I believe this is all mathematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) Well I assume if(A) means a function of A multiplied by the imaginary number i. My gut instinct is to simply write this as a Taylor expansion.
[tex]exp[if(A)]=1+if(A)+\frac{(if(A))^2}{2!}+\frac{(if(A))^3}{3!}+...[/tex]

I do not know where to go from here, or if this is the correct approach. It says to use ket-bra notation but I do not see where I could fit that in with this method.

b.) Honestly I have not tried this one yet so I do not wish to receive help on this just yet as I would like to try it for myself, I just put it up here because I am assuming I will have trouble with it when I finish part a.) :p

Can anyone help? :\

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about (a). I've taken some QM, and it seems like that expression is way too general to be simplified usefully. The only thing I can think of is that we can always write an operator as,

[itex]
A = \sum_{a'} a' | a' \rangle \langle a' |
[/itex]

Where [itex]a'[/itex] is an eigenvalue and [itex]|a' \rangle[/itex] is the corresponding eigenket. That gets [itex]A[/itex] into bra-ket form, but it doesn't really get us closer to the answer.

But (b) is easy. Spoiler'd so you can view it if/when you need to.

Moderator note: Solution removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A ha! That fact which I had forgotten, was enough for me to be able to figure it out. Thank you :]

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Evaluate the following using Ket-Bra notation

What is Ket-Bra notation in Quantum Mechanics?

Ket-Bra notation is a mathematical notation used in Quantum Mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It uses the symbols |⟩ (ket) and ⟨| (bra) to represent quantum states and operators, respectively.

How is Ket-Bra notation used to evaluate expressions in Quantum Mechanics?

Ket-Bra notation is used to evaluate expressions in Quantum Mechanics by representing quantum states and operators as vectors and matrices, respectively. The inner product of a ket and bra represents the probability amplitude for a given state to transition to another state.

What are the benefits of using Ket-Bra notation in Quantum Mechanics?

Ket-Bra notation allows for concise and elegant representation of quantum states and operators, making calculations and equations easier to write and understand. It also allows for the use of linear algebra operations to manipulate and solve quantum mechanical problems.

How does Ket-Bra notation relate to other mathematical notations in Quantum Mechanics?

Ket-Bra notation is closely related to other mathematical notations in Quantum Mechanics, such as Dirac notation and matrix notation. It provides a more intuitive way of representing quantum states and operators, making it easier to connect with physical concepts.

Can Ket-Bra notation be used for any quantum system?

Yes, Ket-Bra notation can be used for any quantum system, as it is a general mathematical notation. However, in some cases, other notations or representations may be more suitable or convenient for specific quantum systems.