Quantum Mechanics (finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on a rotating top with a charged magnetic field and how to write the Hamiltonian and find the energy eigenstates and eigenvalues for the quantum top. The original Hamiltonian is correct and the conversation also suggests rotating the basis to find the eigenstates and using the properties of energy to find the eigenvalues. Overall, the conversation provides helpful insights and suggestions for solving the problem.
MelissaM
Hello,

This was part of my midterm exam that i couldn't solve.
Any help is extremely appreciated.

Problem: The K.E. of a rotating top is given as L^2/2I where L is its angular momentum and I is its moment of inertia. Consider a charged top placed at a constant magnetic field. Assume that the magnetic momentum of the top is proportional to L, M=KL (K is a cst that can be derived from the classical distribution of the charge that is known). Write the Hamiltonian for the quantum top and find the energy eigenstates and energy eigenvalues of the quantum top.This is what i wrote during the exam:

T= L^2/2I and V= -M.B (where B is the magnetic field)
so H=L^2/2I -M.B = L^2/2I - KL.B

then i said since it's a rotating top let's suppose that B is along the z-axis which limits our L to L_z
then, H= L_z( L_z/2I - K.B_z)

and i stopped there.

Now looking calmly at the problem, i realized that i absolutely looked over the fact that it is charged. I think i need to be using A ( the electrostatic potential) along with B but still i have no idea how to start...

Please any help would be awesome!

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe i should use : H= 1/2m (p-q.A)^2 + qφ but since V=0 ⇒ H= 1/2m × (p - q.A)^2

MelissaM said:
maybe i should use : H= 1/2m (p-q.A)^2 + qφ but since V=0 ⇒ H= 1/2m × (p - q.A)^2

Hi melissa, I think you were on the right track? Because
MelissaM said:

Hi melissa, if you start from your generic hamiltonian:

$$\hat{H} = \frac{(p-q A)^2}{ 2 m}$$

you'll just arrive at the generic Hamiltonian below:

$$\hat{H} \approx {p^2 \over 2m} + K B \cdot L + ... = {L^2 \over 2 I} + K B \cdot L$$

See http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/aqp/lec5_compressed.pdf

This is your original hamiltonian which is correct.

Suppose B is oriented a particular direction: Then rotate your basis so that B is in the z direction ( Because the kinetic term has no preferred direction it can be diagonalized in any direction of space). Then your eigenstates are now
$$|l_z \rangle$$

with energy following properties:

$$ L^2 | l_z \rangle = \hbar^2 l_z (l_z + 1) | l_z \rangle$$

I think you know how the rest looks like from here.

Likes MelissaM
paralleltransport said:
Hi melissa, I think you were on the right track? BecauseHi melissa, if you start from your generic hamiltonian:

$$\hat{H} = \frac{(p-q A)^2}{ 2 m}$$

you'll just arrive at the generic Hamiltonian below:

$$\hat{H} \approx {p^2 \over 2m} + K B \cdot L + ... = {L^2 \over 2 I} + K B \cdot L$$

See http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/aqp/lec5_compressed.pdf

This is your original hamiltonian which is correct.

Suppose B is oriented a particular direction: Then rotate your basis so that B is in the z direction ( Because the kinetic term has no preferred direction it can be diagonalized in any direction of space). Then your eigenstates are now
$$|l_z \rangle$$

with energy following properties:

$$ L^2 | l_z \rangle = \hbar^2 l_z (l_z + 1) | l_z \rangle$$

I think you know how the rest looks like from here.
Yes absolutely.
Thank you for the help!

Related to Quantum Mechanics (finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top)

What is the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator in quantum mechanics that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of quantum particles.

How is the Hamiltonian of a quantum top calculated?

The Hamiltonian of a quantum top can be calculated by first determining the classical Hamiltonian, which is the total energy of the top in classical mechanics. Then, this classical Hamiltonian is modified to take into account the quantum effects, such as the uncertainty principle and the quantization of angular momentum.

Why is finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top important?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. By finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top, we can make predictions about its energy, motion, and other properties, which can have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and materials science.

What are the main challenges in finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top?

One of the main challenges in finding the Hamiltonian of a quantum top is dealing with the complex mathematical equations involved. Another challenge is taking into account the various quantum effects that may influence the top's behavior, such as spin and angular momentum quantization.

Can the Hamiltonian of a quantum top be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Hamiltonian of a quantum top can be experimentally measured using techniques such as spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance. These experiments can provide valuable insights into the quantum behavior of the top and help validate the theoretical calculations of its Hamiltonian.